Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 3:40 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Trax Cart Post Bushings
PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 7:14 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I got the Hobie Trax cart for use with my Outback. It came with the post bushings which are meant to take the weight of the boat off of the keel. The problem is these bushings only have a very small contact surface above the scupper hole when they are pushed down on the cart posts as far as they will go against the bottom of the boat. They are too wide to slide past the rounded keel to make a full surface contact. Should I be using these bushings with an Outback?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 7:00 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I have an Outback and use the bushings. I raised the bushings so I have an even three point contact with the hull.

My Wife's Revolution seems to sit best with the bushings on her cart as low as they will go.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 9:43 am 
Site Admin

Photo?

Some models (yours an older one?) could fit differently. Just slide them up to distribute the load as described by "justlen".

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 12:03 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

dykesc wrote:
I got the Hobie Trax cart for use with my Outback. It came with the post bushings which are meant to take the weight of the boat off of the keel. The problem is these bushings only have a very small contact surface above the scupper hole when they are pushed down on the cart posts as far as they will go against the bottom of the boat. They are too wide to slide past the rounded keel to make a full surface contact. Should I be using these bushings with an Outback?

The bushings definitely help spread the load despite the poor contact. IMO, a better solution for the Outback is combining tennis balls with the bushings and bar to distribute the scupper load evenly.

Just make sure you have adequate cart legs sticking through the other end (should be no problem). 8)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 1:16 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

mmiller wrote:
Photo?

Some models (yours an older one?) could fit differently. Just slide them up to distribute the load as described by "justlen".

I have a new 09 Outback. You can see in Roadrunner's post that, without the tennis balls, the bushings would not make anywhere near a full surface contact with the hull when they are adjusted against the hull as far as they will go. In fact, the bushings only contact the hull over a very small area just below the scupper hole. Almost a point load when the bushings are used alone.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 1:54 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Here are photos as requested Matt.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 2:35 pm 
Site Admin

Yep... thats no good. I like roadrunners solution.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 2:46 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

Until recently all carts came with no bushings. As you can see here, they tended to dent the hull bottoms (though most of the dent would come out later) and toggle a little in the scuppers.

In some of the hulls tennis balls would shift the load to the stronger scuppers. But with the older, short cart legs some of the scuppers became too deep for the cart to extend through the hull (a primary requirement). On others, like the Outback the balls were just not enough:

The availability of cart bushings represents a great improvement for the carts. All new carts include them and older carts can add them for about $10. Because the bushings are hard plastic, they only have a single point of contact. So in models where the cart cross bar still can contact the hull bottom (with bushings installed), the bushings are set for a three point contact to help distribute the load and stabilize the cart like this:

The new wide wheel base carts (now standard) have longer legs so there is room to add tennis balls to the bushings for better load distribution in most cases and still have the cart fit properly (as shown previously).

In other models the bushings lift the hull away from the cart as with our '08 Oasis. This is still an improvement (if your cart has long enough legs).

But in hulls where bushings lift the hull like this, If I have to choose between bushings or balls, I still prefer the softer, load distributing tennis balls. :wink:

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 3:14 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Ok, tennis balls with the bushings. Thanks Roadrunner. You too Matt.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 3:33 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

As long as we're on the subject, all Pro Angler owners should have these bushings for their cart. Without them, the weight of the boat sitting on the cross bar will dent the skeg:

It is my understanding that Hobie will supply these bushings at no charge for any Pro Angler puchasers who do not already have them on their wide wheel base carts.

Or, you can try the tennis balls (my preference, not Hobie's recommendation):

The good news is that a dented skeg will straighten out within a short time with the pressure removed. 8)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 3:46 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Off to buy tennis balls to add to my bushings for my Outback. Just the bushings alone seem OK for my Wife's Revolution.

Thanks for all the info.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 4:21 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I know Hobie has a lot of hulls but what I would really like to see is a molded piece that conforms perfectly to a hull type and fits on the cart. This would be similar to the Island cradle set that conforms to the hull to mount onto a trailer.

Hobie currently does not recommend having the kayak sit for any length of time on a cart. A custom molded piece would allow say an overnight storage on the cart while at a camp site or such. The convenience of extended time of kayak resting on the cart coupled with a perfect fit that would not distort the hull would be worth the investment.

yakaholic

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 4:44 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

Maybe like a cart with a partial saddle insert that would slip on over the legs and support a broader section? Great idea, Yak! Each insert would be specific to each kayak model and be replaceable if you wanted to use your cart for more than one kayak. 8)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 2:01 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Roadrunner's tennis ball scupper load distributors is one mod I highly recommend. I have been wheeling my kayaks long distances and have had no hull distortion or scupper problems since fitting them. I agree with RR that the balls are still a better option than the Hobie bushings! :)
I have upgraded the tennis balls with sponge rubber kids balls available from Woolies for around $2:

The rubber balls hold their shape and absorb the bumps better than the tennis balls IMHO! :wink:
If the cart posts are long enough (very important they exit the top deck when loaded) then two balls may fit some hulls better!
These double balls have been used for about 18 months and have travelled about 600kms. I am still using stainless washers and a perspex disc (pre Hobie bushing) to spread the load.

They mold to the kayak shape very well and also offer shock absorbtion from road bumps:

I have added the Hobie bushings to my lighter duty Oasis cart but found they didn't offer the same protection. I reversed the bushings and used half a ball which works well:

The balls are easy to cut with a hacksaw and the post hole was made with a holesaw a couple of sizes smaller than the cart post.
I agree with Yakaholic and Roadrunner that a molded piece from Hobie is needed. 8)

Last edited by stringy on Wed Aug 26, 2009 3:07 am, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 2:22 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Yakaholic wrote:
Hobie currently does not recommend having the kayak sit for any length of time on a cart. A custom molded piece would allow say an overnight storage on the cart while at a camp site or such.
yakaholic

Yak,
We take folding chairs with us when camping and store the kayak on them overnight. With the kayak on the cart I slip one chair under the stern and then pickup the bow and slip the other chair under.
The cart remains in place ready to roll when the chairs are removed. :)