Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 3:49 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 5:37 pm 
Site Admin

Our Hobie engineers and factory manager took a fleet of Hobie Mirage kayaks to the Colorado river November 17-20, 2005.

The trip... Black Canyon, Nevada. This is the Colorado river and canyon below the Hoover Dam. In all, a 23 mile loop up river (against the current) to the Hoover dam and return.

The area is located to the south east of Las Vegas. They started their trip about 11 miles below the dam on Thursday evening. They arrived and rigged, loaded and shoved off after dark for a 2 1/2 mile up river leg to the first camp site.

They carried water purifying gear and all of their food and camping gear aboard the many Hobie kayaks in the fleet.

Other kayakers and canoes also make this trip. They were sometimes seen pulling their boats upstream along the shore. One group of canoes left their camping beach earlier in the morning while the Hobie guys sat around for awhile. They caught them later that morning pedaling and sailing up river.

Along the way they camped 3 nights and came across caves, hot springs and beautiful scenery.

River currents were strong, but by keeping to the shoreline in the stronger areas, they made their way upstream. The Hobie MirageDrive and sometimes the sail rigs were real assets on this trip!

The leg to the Dam was done as a day trip. All the camping gear was left behind at the camp site.

By the way, the current in the river varies depending on the flow being released from the dam. The current on the trip up stream was strong... funny thing... they reduced the flow once the guys made it to the dam. So much for the free ride down stream!

This is an example of what you use a paddle for on a Hobie Mirage kayak!

Ahhh, coasting down stream.

They tell us it was a really fun trip. I think more of us will join them next year!

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 8:11 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

Great shots! That one in front of the dam is a classic! Also instructive to see how the kayaks were loaded. Thanks for sharing :!: :D :D :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 8:42 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

That's working, right? What a great adventure!... With an Adventure! (among others). kyt

Post subject: Great Photos
PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 9:15 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Great photos Matt!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 8:59 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Great fun :D I can see that everyone at Hobie is committed to the Hobie philosophy of having fun 8) :lol: :wink:

Adventure Island Sailing since 2008

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 7:45 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Most notable are the extremly low water levels! This shot shows a great angle of the beach at AZ Hot Springs (where we camped for two nights), the large rock in the river was totally submerged in April, '10.
With the water well above the tents near the shore.

'08 Revolution (SOLD!)
'07 Adventure Island
'07 Adventure Island

Psalm 107:23, 24 (KJV)
They that go down to the sea in ships, that do business in great waters;
These see the works of the LORD, and his wonders in the deep.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 3:16 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi! I realize this is an old post but I am researching a photo shoot site and we need to know if we can access the campsite you photographed here by car. The site is perfect but with all the equipment, we cannot get to it by boat. THANK YOU!! Anyone with info on accessing he campsite pictured on this Black Canyon thread, it will be very appreciated.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 9:23 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I am interested in touring black canyon. Did you start-stop at willow beach ?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 1:18 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I was not on this particular trip listed above but I have visited the area via kayak a few times since then.

Black Canyon is best done as a three day trip (my opinion).
Day one you arrive at Willow Beach, kayak up (best done in a pedal kayak), set up camp at or near AZ hot springs.
Day two you pedal up to Hoover Dam, check out the other hot springs and sauna cave all while leaving your camp set up back down river.
Day three you drift back to Willow and drive home :)

There is a way to launch near the dam and do the downriver only, I believe there is a permit process or you might need to go with one of the guide services from the nearby town. The road down to the dam is private for obvious reasons.

You can hike into the AZ hot springs from the road but it's a few miles each way through soft dirt and gravel.

You should be able to pay a river taxi to take you up to the hot springs or dam on a tour from Willow Beach marina.

The water level and flow is dependent on electricity needs from the nearby cities; mid-morning to late afternoon you'll see the highest levels. At night and in the early morning the river will be low and slow. Last year I went back with two friends and we launched from Willow at around 11pm, pedaled up the river under a full moon and zero wind. That was the best BC trip so far.

Jeffrey

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 1:33 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Hey, let`s all meet at black canyon. We can show each other our kayaks. :D

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 9:43 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

That is a VERY interesting and kind of "secret" place.... eveyone is headed to Las Vegas... oblivious as to what is just below them.

Did a three day trip there just so we could camp a couple nights... it was fabulous. Hot springs, fresh water etc... I should have posted my photos...

We did almost get run over by a rental powerboater that was not even looking ahead... :evil: :shock:

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 2:17 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I live in Boulder City the home of Lake Mead and the Hoover Dam. I kayak Boulder Canyon weekly. One thing to consider is the water temp. In that section of the river the temp is around 60 degrees year round. Also the water level during the summer months rise and fall over 6 feet from the morning to the night. Be very careful of where and how you leave your kayak if you camp or hike in the canyon.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 7:52 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Do you access boulder canyon from the nv. side or do you use willow beach ? I`m sure they would advertise a "water release" right ?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 6:10 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

wow! beautiful. must do.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 11:02 am 
Hobie Tech / Moderator

A buch of guys just left to do this trip last night. It must have been a great midnight (or later) peddle upstream with the full moon out.