Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 9:37 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Coming un-glued!
PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 1:55 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Out yesterday for a nice sail on the river/lunch on the island.

On the way back I noticed my mast jumping up trying to escape from the boat. I quickly furled the sail and tried to figure out what the heck was going on. Several trys to re-seat it while on the water failed so I very carefully unfurled just enough sail to get to shore. This is where I discovered that the furler drum had come loose from the mast. I was able to shove it down enough to snap back in and get home.

Back home I pulled the sail off and the drum practically fell off the mast. The epoxy had had completely failed. It was stuck well to both parts but the glue itself broke. The drum has ribs on the inside, I presume to make space for the glue, and the glue stuck between them. And there was glue on the mast that was well stuck.

Since our boats are only about three months old what do you Hobie factory guys want me to do? I'm sailing it next weekend in an MHRA regatta at Bodega Bay so I doubt I can get a new lower mast section by Friday.

You want to recommend a certain type of epoxy and I'll re-glue it?

Has anybody else had this problem?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 8:19 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Sounds like the same problem hobie had with the glue at the base of the mast. I haven't had drum problems yet, knock-on-wood.

Hobie may have made a change to better glue since all the first batch owners started having problems and had to retrofit theirs with a collar but it dosen't seem to have worked, if they did.

gwiz

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 11:52 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Dan, Give Mel at Inland Sailing a call ASAP and see if he can get a replacement sent up from Hobie (916-859-3436). They'll probably pick up the phone on Monday even though they're technically closed. He might be able to get you sailing again before the weekend.
Todd Craig

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 12:57 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Just an update since I'm so yakie today:

Hobie said re-glue it so I did. I used some good West Systems stuff with a little thickener.

I got tired of the top of the sail unrolling while the foot was furled and tight. So while I had all that glue handy I glued the two mast sections together and the piece on the top too. Now when the mast rotates the top can't slip and let the top un-roll.

We tried it out this last weekend at Bodega Bay and it seemed to work really well but the wind was not that heavy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 4:29 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I have just experienced the same problem Rio Dan posted above. :(
Mine is an 08 AI purchased February 08. I was out in winds around 20 -25 knots with stronger gusts. I had the sail furled, varying between the first and second battens, depending on my position to the wind.
I was having a real blast and the GPS registered my highest speed so far of 16 km/h (9.9mph) :)
I had noticed the sail was getting harder to furl but it wasn't until I reached my destination that I noticed the mast slightly out of position in the mast holder and the release clip not locked properly as it had been when I left. Here's why:
Fortunately the mast holder isn't damaged. :)
Rang Hobie here in Oz but reps not available till Tuesday as they are at a boat show.
Not sure if I should try regluing this myself and what should I use?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 6:32 pm 
Site Admin

Sure looks like the partialy furled sail sheeted hard in a good blow is failing the glue joint here. Lots of load twistuing the fitting.

Recommended glue? Not able to check at the moment as we are all on holiday, but a good marine supply house should be able to make a selection for you if you can't wait to talk to Hobie Aus.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 2:39 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Matt- you're on holidays and yet you still provide help. That's dedication above and beyond 8) . Much appreciated.
I wasn't sure if fixing it myself might have warranty implications but now I will see what is available here that might work. Problem is that many of the adhesives recommended on this forum aren't easily found down under! :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 5:19 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Try this one here Stringy. They should have glue and you name it plus you can order on line or go on walk about for some.. :wink:
Kepnutz

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/st ... reId=10001

Post subject: Me too
PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 9:04 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I bought a new unused AI in late May this year (manufactured in '07) and the first time I installed the mast it would not catch. The spool had raised about 1/4 inch and I tapped it down with a block of wood and a hammer. I had to do that the first three times I sailed untill it was terribly loose. Then I secured it from raising with a strip of rubber and a stainless hose clamp. Perhaps the glue is marine epoxy and is too brittle and or unstable from mast flexing to be suitable. I will only repair it when I am convinced of a better solution. On another thought, I think the glue may brake down from heat as well since my AI was on display for a year outside the store before I purchased it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 1:49 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Kep - Thanks for the link. I've bookmarked it for future reference. My local Hobie dealer has just filed a warranty claim for the mast and is fixing it with some epoxy recommended by Hobie Australasia. :)

Tom Cat- I like your idea of the clamp and will add that when I get the mast back. I think the extra safeguard of the mechanical fix is a good idea! 8) Thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 9:26 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I have been pondering this coming un-glued thing lately. The interersting thing about this glue failure is that in my case the glue failed BEFORE the AI was ever used. This tells me that it is not hard sailing that brakes the epoxy bond. If I had to guess, I would say it is heat expansion followed by cool down contractions that eventually cause the failure. My AI was on display outside in a parking area (asphalt hot spot) for some time before I bought it. Hot summer sun followed by sudden cooling summer showers might eventually have cause failure. The glue itself had not deteriorated, and it is really stuck to each part. The separation was through the glue itself. Perhaps there is an epoxy with a bit more flex that would be better. I willl continue to use all stainless hose clamps on thin strips of roofing rubber for the time being, but this does not stop any furling slipage that may start soon. I know I will be forced to re-glue eventually, but I do not want to use the same epoxy resin again.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 4:04 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

This doesn't seem to be a common problem so I'm guessing that it could be production related. Perhaps poor preparation/not enough epoxy or even assembling it after it has started curing. In my case the epoxy remaining is very strong and well bonded to the mast but not stuck to the plastic drum. I only had vertical movement of the drum on the mast -no furling slippage as the epoxy ridges prevent that.

Post subject: glue failure
PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 5:53 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I had the tip of one of the amas arms come off and stay inside the aka. I noticed the one end of the amas wasn't seated quite like the rest and we took it apart and found the tip had come unglued. We found the amas with the missing tip and shoved it back on. The glue had failed on the tip. So far it hasn't happened again, but today I think I'll double check all the tips along with my mast to be sure. Mine is a new 08, received in June.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 6:00 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Three of my aka tips were lose too, and still are. I just keep popping them back in after removal of amas.

Post subject: un-Glued
PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 2:53 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I used a 2 part marine epoxy that works pretty good but wear gloves cause that stuff is TOXIC. Don't even bother with the super glue, Gorilla glue, or Locktite if in salt water as it breaks down extremely quick. The silicone works ok around some of the water leak spots and can flex with temperature but does not have much force strength to carry any load.