Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 1:51 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Revolution Test Drive
PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 8:53 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

When I heard that Fast Lane Sailing Center in San Diego had received their first shipment of Revolutions, I grabbed my trusty camera and Turbofins and headed South!

Ron Lane, as always, graciously consented to a test drive. By the time I got to the dock, the boat was already waiting.

My first check was for stability so I stepped aboard. Seems stable enough....

Next I wondered how difficult it would be to drop my gear in the forward hatch....

Hmmm...what else is in there?

This handles like one mean machine!

Next, I cruised by the gas station to gloat!

This baby turns on a dime, or almost....

Anybody want to race?

Time to head in. Where's the brakes on this thing?

Photo credit goes to Bailey Busch --great job!!!

Last edited by Roadrunner on Sun Aug 13, 2006 12:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 9:14 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

Am having computer problems so I have to post this in sections; wanted to get the pictures up first.

By the pictures, you can see there's no question about stability, front hatch access (yes, the drive is installed), or great handling (with just the standard rudder).

I went out into pretty choppy water during the test and came back dry as a bone. Like the Adventure, the Revolution handled the chop gracefully and without a lot of splash or hull pounding.

Max speed seems to be about 1/2 mph slower than the Adventure, but you really don't notice -- it moves right along.

The underside of the hull is similar to, but not the same as the Quest. The new seat is a little cushier on the back and has a smaller pouch attached; felt comfortable. There will be a matching bait tank available (later) for you fishermen that cycles water through the scuppers.

Plenty of leg room in the cockpit -- little less than the Adventure, but virtually the same as the Outback (measured). The drive well is indented so that water entering from the fin action doesn't slosh into the cockpit -- nice touch.

Overall, it was a real blast to zip around in the Revolution -- I didn't want to come in! Thanks again to Fast Lane for the great accomodation!!8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 5:54 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Roadrunner,
Great pics! Well done! I sure wish they had put that front hatch on the Adventure. It sure would be nice to have one you can actually use on the water. :cry:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 5:58 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Wow RR--great job! So, what we're talkiing about here is basically a Quest with a Mirage Drive?? And--is Hobie really calling it the "Revolution"? Sure wish they could have included the gunwale tackle trays of the OB and Sport, but that would have made it a lot more beamier, I'm sure. Gotta put a call into my dealer to check this baby out! BTW, any idea on the "official" length and weight, not to mention price?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 8:04 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

According to Matt, 13.5ft, 58lbs, $1599MSRP. Hobie website lists length as 13'5", and Jon at KFS said it measured closer to 13'.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 7:57 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Roadrunner, is the color red or orange? It is hard to tell in the photo. I currently have an Adventure in Safety Orange and may trade it off for a Revo in Golden Papaya. If anyone is interested in my Adventure around the DFW area in Texas, let me know. I can make you a good deal with a flush mounted compass and a 240 S fishfinder/GPS.
:D
James

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 8:35 am 
Hobie Approved Guru

Hi Tex,

The one in the pictures was red; perhaps the reflected light faked the camera out in some of the of shots.

You can check the colors out on the Hobie web site. I think they are blue, papaya, red and ivory. Also, there are 3 fishing colors, so lots to choose from. 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 11:40 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

TexFlyfisher wrote:
Roadrunner, is the color red or orange? It is hard to tell in the photo. I currently have an Adventure in Safety Orange and may trade it off for a Revo in Golden Papaya. If anyone is interested in my Adventure around the DFW area in Texas, let me know. I can make you a good deal with a flush mounted compass and a 240 S fishfinder/GPS.
:D
James

Hey TexFlyfisher, work in Dallas, live in McKinney... Might be interested in the yak. Was thinking about another Outback though, but maybe a change would be good. Any pics and what is your price?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 12:15 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Vlaude,
Sent you an email. I live in Arlington.