Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 9:33 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Fun with Fittings
PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 10:00 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

All recent Hobie kayaks use pre-molded screw-in fittings. A close examination will show your boat probably has between 16 and 26 such fittings. They come in three interchangeable styles -- pad eye, cleat and "shockcord end". There is a fitting tool or key to insert and extract them. There is also a relatively new self locking bungee hook that is adjustable and that doesn't use an annoying thumb-press retainer. Here is what they look like:

Here are some ideas for customizing. If you don't use the sail, why not replace the downhaul cleat with a more useful pad eye for tethering gear?

You can replace any bungee with a new one, or add a second bungee to a fitting by adopting the technique shown here (just reverse the fitting):
More details: http://www.hobiecat.com/community/viewt ... 042b707596

Or, you can replace a bungee with a length of line (if you can think of some reason to do so):

You can make carriers for specialized gear like a stakeout pole or sail as shown here:
More details: http://www.hobiecat.com/community/viewtopic.php?t=8921

The sky's the limit! 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 2:02 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

G'day Roadrunner,
Excellent post once again with some very useful ideas. 8)
After reading it I thought why not make a fourth type of fitting combining bungee and pad-eye in one?:
Haven't done it yet but I will try it and post results if it works or not! :wink:
I'm thinking our earlier Tandem with fewer fittings may benefit.

PS: I'm glad that original thumb press retainer hook can be replaced- I too found it very annoying! Thanks for the info. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 4:17 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks. You always give me ideas. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 4:19 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Really want to try replaceing one with rope, I hope it dont turn into a wick and get water in my yak. :o

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 8:56 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Roadrunner:

Thanks for this excellent post and great illustrations. When I check this forum and see a Roadrunner post, my normal reaction is "Oh yea, I'm gonna learn something new today"!

Perhaps this is foolishly optimistic, but I wonder -- someday, while browsing the kayak (or self-help) section in Borders or Barnes and Noble, will I pick up a compendium by Roadrunner, Apalach and others, called "100 Ways to Customize your Hobie Kayak, with Dignity and Respect"?

I collected a handful of Hobie's pad eye, cleat and shockcord end fittings recently (didn't even know they had names until now), and am enjoying the flexibility they offer in customizing my Revos.

I don't have the fitting tool wrench, but an old pair of needle-nosed pliers seem to do the job for removing a shockcord end fitting or installing a pad eye fitting"in a pinch". Beware though, the teeth on the pliers can chew up the surface a little bit if you are not careful.

Anyway, keep up the great work.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 10:54 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

Stringy, what a great suggestion -- if you used a bungee with a bungee hook it would snap to itself -- make a great adjustable tether loop. Or you could put a line in to tie down gear. I also like the way you fixed that picture!

Brazos, you have to watch out for those wicky ropes -- it would be an embarrassing way to sink a kayak! :lol:

Conservation, it would be nice if Hobie had "How To" and "Product Review" sections we could all go to for reference -- The posts become lost in time and space and eventually lose their pictures, making them less useful.

I also started out with needle nose pliers and had the same result you did -- they worked but it was hard to keep them engaged through the full rotation without skipping out and chewing up the notches. If you're doing more than a couple of changes, the tool makes it a heck of a lot easier. Or you could make one with a small scrap of steel or maybe an old fork the wife wouldn't miss (bend the handle for leverage).

Be careful though -- the last time I borrowed her electric toothbrush to polish some aluminum rivets it didn't go over too well! And, for some reason, the subject continually gets resurrected from time to time!!???

Thanks all for the comments. 8)