To All Tandem Islander Sailors: The Annual Craig Hospital/Hobie Sailing Day is fast approaching! Food and Drinks will be provided. This event is put on by Hobie Fleet 61 and Craig Hospital and is an opportunity for Craig Hospital patients and family to participate in a day of sailing and boating. This will be the 35th year of the event. Last year in addition to 7 Hobie catamarans, 3 power boats and 2 pontoon boats we had 2 Hobie Tandem Islanders for the first time: Ken Moens’ and Steve & Joan Tarasar’s T-Is. The Islanders were a hit with patients, staff and families and so this year I would like to extend an invitation again to Islander owners to share your love of the wind and water. Most of you probably know that Craig Hospital is a world-renowned facility for traumatic spinal cord and brain injuries. You may also have recently heard that former Olympic gold medalist Amy Van Dyken-Rouen is being treated there. Event details:
- Thursday night (August 7th, 6:00 p.m.) we have an optional gathering at Craig Hospital for a pizza & ice cream social to meet the sailors, patients, staff and family. At that time we set up a Hobie catamaran and Islander on site and “introduce” the boats.
- Friday morning (August 8th) we arrive at Cherry Creek Reservoir (West Entrance) around 7:00 -7:30 a.m. We set up our boats, move them to the beach, help set up the area, etc. We review the day’s activities and logistics on the beach with the sailors and Craig staff, prior to patients arriving at 9:00am.
- As patients arrive they will be put on a list and depending on their mobility will be allowed to go on the; catamarans, Islanders, Pontoon Boat, or motor boat. This is of course decided and supervised by the Craig Staff.
- No need to bring food or water as there will be grilled chicken, burgers, dogs and drinks on site (Free) as well as music and an abundance of support staff. (I like to bring my “Easy-Up” for shade and beach chairs.)
- As this is a State Park you will be responsible for paying the entrance fee if you do not have a Parks Pass. And of course the Islanders will need to go through the usual “Invasive Species” inspection.
Follow the link to view news coverage from previous years. This has been an incredibly successful and rewarding event in the past promising miles of smiles.
http://www.rehabpub.com/2013/08/craig-hobie-day-participants-to-enjoy-sailing-and-navigating-beaches/ Please contact me with any questions and/or if you are interested in joining us. We would love to have you there!