Hobie Cat Forums

It is currently Fri Aug 22, 2014 6:58 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: WTB H16/18 in Maryland
PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 11:00 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi,

I am looking to buy an H16 or H18 (or anything in a size range that can comfortably hold 2 adults). It must include a trailer. Perfer it in sailable condition (some wear OK). I am looking to spend about $1000 but I can make a deal if need be. I am willing to drive a fair bit if necessary for the right boat.

I used to sail when I was younger and I would like to get back into it now that I have some friends that are in to sailing.

Thanks,

Kevin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 7:41 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I found one. Thanks to anyone who took a look.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 8:22 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Beautiful boat! Good find!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 6:09 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Judging by your search area, thought this might be of interest. A bit soon but I'm told it's a great way to learn, fast. Even if you are just there to observe. http://www.div11.hobieclass.com/site/hobie/div11/downloads/2014/2014%20Gunpowder%20Regatta%20NOR.pdf

'95 H16 sail #101148
'89 H18 SX/ sail #1053 w/ Yellow hulls

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 6:20 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

hawk592 wrote:
Judging by your search area, thought this might be of interest. A bit soon but I'm told it's a great way to learn, fast. Even if you are just there to observe. http://www.div11.hobieclass.com/site/hobie/div11/downloads/2014/2014%20Gunpowder%20Regatta%20NOR.pdf

TRUTH!

Regattas are a fantastic way to learn... I had been recreational sailing for a couple years when I went to my first regatta. I had all sorts of misconceptions about racing and racers... I even thought I had sailing the boat fast all figured out, boy was I wrong! Those guys just ran away from me..... and I had a complete blast! I learned more in that weekend than in the previous two years, made some great new friends, and just had a lot of fun.

Now I just a very few short years later I struggle to understand why anyone even casually interested in sailing a Hobie Cat would not just jump at the chance to participate in a regatta... Sure.. Laying on the tramp taking in sun on a light wind day, or just screaming around on a reach is fun. Yet there is something in the challenge of running around the marks that tests the limits of how tuned in you can really become with your environment which is simply intoxicating.

Have a Hobie Day!!!

Just call the organizer and tell them you want to crew... I promise someone is looking for crew!

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 2:55 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks for the recommendation. I looked back at the post a little too late to see the race but I will be sure to keep an eye out for regattas in the area. I would definitely like to got into the social aspects of the hobie lifestyle.

I know my Hobie is not class legal (no comp-tip, 3rd party parts, etc) but do they tend to offer an open class or unranked class that I could sail in? or is it not that strict?

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 5:06 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

That particular weekend was hobies only and no open class then which means all OEM parts and comptips are a must. That said, I was busy myself Saturday so couldn't make it. I did go and spend the day there on Sunday and learned quite a bit by helping out on the course on the "A" mark support boat. Thank you Lynn for being so welcoming and Billy for keeping me informed of the goings on. Next year, I'm there.

Feeding my sailing addiction via tapatalk. :-)

'95 H16 sail #101148
'89 H18 SX/ sail #1053 w/ Yellow hulls

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 12:56 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

yoyoerx wrote:
Thanks for the recommendation. I looked back at the post a little too late to see the race but I will be sure to keep an eye out for regattas in the area. I would definitely like to got into the social aspects of the hobie lifestyle.

I know my Hobie is not class legal (no comp-tip, 3rd party parts, etc) but do they tend to offer an open class or unranked class that I could sail in? or is it not that strict?

Technically at at Hobie one-design regatta, your boat is supposed to have OEM parts. Also, the rules allow for a one regatta exemption from the comptip requirement. That having been said, as someone who's raced in Division 11 for over two decades, I can say with a good deal of confidence that at this stage in the game, it is very unlikely that anyone will bother a newbie racing on an old boat which isn't totally rules compliant. We just need some fresh blood in the group, so come on out. Twenty years ago, it might have been a different story, but these days unless you're finishing at the top of the fleet, I really don't think anyone will care if your boat isn't 100% rules compliant.

Next regatta is Sandy Hook- another great venue. Come check it out.

sm

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 6:10 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I can't wait to get out on the water! Let me know if anyone has any lightly used H18 items they want to sell