Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 12:50 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 5:54 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I have a Tandem Island and live in CT near Long Island Sound, so fishing is mostly Stripers, Blues and Tog. I also fish freshwater lakes that have largemouth, smallmouth and trout.

Just wondering if I should pay more for the DSI version or the standard/regular sonar?
I realize that a TI fishes a smaller area, tending on the shallow areas but you cannot get too close to rocks cause you might be pushed into shoals by tides and winds since you might not have enough "Pedal Power" to clear out of a danger zone quickly.

I didn't know if a DSI sonar better for reef fishing or finding suspended schools of fish?? Thanks for your ideas.....

Also, how bout them data cards for the coastline or individual lakes.... Is it worth the cost?

Eric

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 9:59 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Go for the down scan. You can get some Garmin ones under $300... it gives such an amazingly clear view compared to standard sonar. Well worth it!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 10:50 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Lots of stuff on the internet about downscan vs sidescan. The consensus is that you should save your money and just do downscan if you fish directly under the boat, fish in very deep water, or are on a tight budget. Also if you are fishing a specific area repeatedly, then you'll probably learn the bottom with just bottom scan. I've also noticed that the more you pay, the better the quality of the image. So getting the lowest priced sidescan may not necessarily give you a great image.

That was my rationale for buying a Lowrence Hook 7. But somewhere in the back of my head, I wonder if I should have gone with the elite series.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 7:56 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

michael1one wrote:
Lots of stuff on the internet about downscan vs sidescan. The consensus is that you should save your money and just do downscan if you fish directly under the boat, fish in very deep water, or are on a tight budget. Also if you are fishing a specific area repeatedly, then you'll probably learn the bottom with just bottom scan. I've also noticed that the more you pay, the better the quality of the image. So getting the lowest priced sidescan may not necessarily give you a great image.

That was my rationale for buying a Lowrence Hook 7. But somewhere in the back of my head, I wonder if I should have gone with the elite series.
I have a 2016 TI Lowrance ready. I am shopping for a fish finder with chirp, down scan and chartplotter. The Garmin echomap chirp 53cv was at the top of my list. Come to find out the transducer is too large for the space provided on the TI. I will be on the lakes of the Adirondacks most of the time. Some times I bring it to Clinton CT and on the sound.
Any recommendations?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 2:59 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

letsgoski wrote:
michael1one wrote:

I have a 2016 TI Lowrance ready. I am shopping for a fish finder with chirp, down scan and chartplotter. The Garmin echomap chirp 53cv was at the top of my list. Come to find out the transducer is too large for the space provided on the TI. I will be on the lakes of the Adirondacks most of the time. Some times I bring it to Clinton CT and on the sound.
Any recommendations?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

If you intend to keep the fish finder you have check out mariner sails and look at their Berley Pro line up. Berley Pro is an innovative company that makes transducer covers for Hobie that will accommodate most transducers including the larger side scan ones.

I just installed the lowrance Hook2 5 TS it has a huge transducer and it needs to be below the hull for the side scan to work- Berley Pro makes a cover for that and it works extremely well.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 9:27 am 
Site Rank - Captain

It seems like with the 2018 lineup all the major FF manufacturers have downscan/GPS models for around 300-350. The new lowrance Hook2 series look nice, although playing around with them in the store they do seem a bit slow still. A lot of value there though. The Hummingbird Helix G2 also look really nice and a decent value there.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 5:33 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

shin09 wrote:
It test link seems like with the 2018 lineup all the major FF manufacturers have downscan/GPS models for around 300-350. The new lowrance Hook2 series look nice, although playing around with them in the store they do seem a bit slow still. A lot of value there though. The Hummingbird Helix G2 also look really nice and a decent value there.

I second the Hummingbird Helix G2 recommendation. I was using it this past weekend without a fault. I'm actually going to get one for myself as well before the next fishing trip.