Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 7:37 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 5:33 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Here is the report.....

RideAlong with Glen M
On May 6, 2013 Daniel and Glen aka (Prof.Salt) went on my TI. We sailed out of the Packery Channel. We sailed to the Bob Hall Rig, arrived at the rig we saw 3 big cobias swimming around the rig, I got them to bite on my casting lure (2.5oz rattle trap) but could not get the hooks to stick. Glen free line some ribbon fish and got on some king fish at the rig,we then switched over to a 2oz spoon, landed some Macs, and then free lined a ribbon, then the rod go's off, resulting in a 52" king. We moved further south to a cluster of rigs 3 to 4 miles south of the Bob Hall Rig. While trolling there we got into another king fish, and then saw fish activity in the area, we then saw 3 really massive cobia swimming by the TI, but could not hook them. Soon after we did hook into a smaller cobia it was 34" and we released it. Made it to the Rig now out about 5 or 6 miles offshore, hooked up to the rig, and saw 2 cobias swimming near this rig, we fished the bottom only getting gaff tops and hardheads, we did manage to pull in one red snapper but it was under size. We leave the rig to head back and while trolling again we got a double hook up, Glen ending up lost his hook up due to a line cut, and I seem to still be fishing this fish I got on my line. I got to pull up the fish and saw that it was a Jack C. but the Jack only let me see it for a bit then started to take off taking drag, long story short, we both fought this thing for almost 2 hours handing the rod back and forth and ending up surfacing an 8 FOOT BULL SHARK. There was no way I was getting my $18 lure back so we just got video of the massive shark underwater next to the kayak. After that we went back to the Bob Hall Rig, landed another king fish and called it a day.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MJFmiKtCtTw[/youtube]

Last edited by Living Waters on Sat May 18, 2013 11:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 12:29 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Awesome video! Hey quick question for you. Do you put the kings and other fish on a stringer along side the kayak or bring a big cooler on board?

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 8:25 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

http://m.basspro.com/Boone-Monster-Fish ... duct/8459/

This is what we use out there. Lay the fish bag on the latter.

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 11:07 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks everyone for watching the video and for the comments :)

I had to re-do the video, I had some errors I needed to take care of, and I also added small commentary and a little surprise at the end of the video ... lol

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MJFmiKtCtTw[/youtube]

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 11:37 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Great video, best part is someone assuming the position! Potty time anyone?