Post subject: gps?
PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 9:24 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

New kayak owner what is a good GPS for kayaking
thanks

Post subject: Re: gps?
PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 2:58 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

You have two main options: A handheld GPS, or a fish finder with GPS. If you fish from your kayak, a fish finder-GPS combination is a great way to go. If you don't fish, and just want the GPS for navigation, information about distance and speed, and maps, a handheld GPS would be the way to go.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 7:11 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I have gone through a half dozen or so gps's, we are mostly in salt water ant it is really hard on everything. All the more expensive gps's I have had fail after about 6 months. I think it has to do with the number of function buttons. I ended buying the cheapest garmin I could find a couple yrs at and it's still going strong. The maps are lousy, it's really hard to program so I never bother trying to program it. I just use the compass function, and the speed, average speeds and distance traveled functions and that's about it.
If I need ocean charts, course plotting and way points I just use the isailer app on my iphone which has a life proof waterproof case. Way more functional and easy to use, plus I cal listen to music with my Bluetooth waterproof speaker, talk on the phone and whatever else I need to do all with one device. My I phone also completely controls my gopro. I have a wrist band for my phone so it's always handy.
The way I figure things I already have th iphone, the life proof case was abut $70 bucks, the isailer or natron ice apps are only about ten bucks and the have all the charts (which you really need to use offshore and on the inter coastal. I carry one of those iphone backup battery things in a dry box if I run the phone battery down (haven't needed it yet).
So bottom line I hang the cheap garmin around my neck and use it for speed and headings only, I keep an extra set of aa batteries for the gps but only need to replace them every 3 months or so. If I need more I fire up the apps on my iphone.
Of course I have insurance on my iphone as well so if it stops working I just go get a new one.
Bob

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 1:36 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

A favorite are the Lowrance Elite 4 models. Certain Hobie models are designed for easy installation of the Lowrance and some Humminbird transponders, including the PA, Outback, and Revo.

There are know penetration points for water and these can be sealed.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 5:51 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

This depends on how you want to use it. I use an older Garmin Forerunner 305, wrist mounted GPS. Time, speed, distance, heart rate monitor, compass etc., easy to read programmable screen with about 30+- functions. There are newer, more waterproof versions (ex: 310XT) if you like this style. I like easy portability and hands free reading. You can use it for other activities as well. 8)

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 3:16 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

If you want to plot waypoints and spots to find later the hand held GPS, a smartphone in a waterproof case, or a fish finder with GPS will work. Another option is a VHF radio with integrated GPS and DSC (which sends your exact position to rescuers with the push of a button). If you plan to have the VHF then getting one with GPS makes sense and if you go out in the ocean or Great Lakes then the DSC is a good idea.