Hobie Cat Forums

It is currently Wed Sep 17, 2014 3:47 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 1:58 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Dear Hobie,
I get water in my Revo11 every offshore trip, I am fairly sure the bow hatch is the culprit. Specifically, the holes at the front of the hatch where the bungies are connected. If you doubt that, I have pictures showing the gaps. However, I was watching this video on the Jackson Kayak Kraken and if you fast fwd to 1:29 you will see that their hatch has a neopreen gasketed cover below the actual hatch cover. This is brilliant. If you don't make something like that, I will probably attempt a DIY version.
http://youtu.be/it9cCDTrgls

Just thought I would share,
Chris

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 5:38 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

J, go to the home centers and pick up a weather seal It has a glue strip on one side. I placed some along the bottom and top edge of the front tub. Keeps 99% of the water out of the tub and out from getting below.

I believe I used 3/8 thick.
Tom

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 7:59 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Chris,
I think that's a great idea and it is used by many other kayak manufacturers.
My wife made a similar cover out of an old nylon raincoat and bungee. Not as good as neoprene or rubber but still better than nothing.
It has definitely limited how much water gets in to our TI, though not eliminated it entirely. I suspect a little water gets under the cover when sailing at speed and punching through waves. Often there is a pool of water on top of the nylon cover when I remove the plastic hatch cover.

If you look at this post you will see other methods to improve hatch waterproofing, mostly involving seal replacements. Chekika reports his roids seal works.
viewtopic.php?f=71&t=51372

BTW -You mention gaps around the hatch bungee screw in fittings (where the bungee's are anchored to the hull) but have you properly checked they aren't leaking? Pour a little water over each fitting and note if it is entering the hull. That is a common source of leaks as the thread cutting can be a bit hit/miss.
If it is, it's an easy fix -unscrew the fitting, coat the threads with sealant and refit. Any sealant should work as it doesn't have to stick to the PE hull, just fill the gaps. Both the fittings seen at the top of my pic above needed sealing.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 11:23 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Glad I am not the only one (See Hobie, I'm not a whiner, not really :lol: )
Stringy, thats exactly what I'm talking about; making a cover like a "shower-cap" for the inside of the hatch.
BTW: The gaps letting in water are not the anchor points for the bungies (those are properly sealed from Hobie factory), but they are the holes on the hatch cover through which the bungies passes.