Hobie Cat Forums

It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 3:50 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 6:04 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Can anyone suggest a highway worthy trailer for 2 14ft angler kayaks???.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 1:35 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

If it were me, I would look for a good, used jet ski trailer, designed for 2 jet skis that sit side by side....here in the Portland, Oregon area, they can be found on Craigs list for under $650....best option is a galvanized trailer, but a painted trailer with little or no rust will suffice too.......
Make sure the trailer has been well cared for.......wheel bearings and tires in good shape, has a spare tire, 2 winches, good working lights,etc, etc..

Modify the trailer using 3" OD Schedule 40 PVC pipes that the PA's rest on......like a cradle....the cross bars are set 67" +/- 1" apart front to back.....you should be in for under $700 and have a trailer that is highway road ready with 12" wheels.

Here is a Portland area ad for a painted trailer, double wide, asking $575.00 http://portland.craigslist.org/clc/boa/4623130981.html
Good Luck!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 1:49 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Triton LRT dual waterski trailer. Aluminum and will last a lifetime. I think the independent torsion axle is best, but the standard leaf sprung axle is just fine.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 2:45 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Those 12 inch tires will handle 65 mph?...appreciate your resoonse.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 3:08 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

12 inch tires or 12 inch wheels?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 4:16 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I am not sure exactly what you mean (apologies) but I've seen a few comments about 12 harbor freight wheels being undersized...maybe they are just well light duty like most things harbor freight.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 6:42 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Many good options out there for trailers. I've got the PA14 and purchased a trailer from Magneta. They are in Hull, Iowa. Hot dipped (inside and out) galvanized steel frame. Frame is 2"x2". Tongue is 2"x3". Comes with grease fittings on hubs. Has leaf springs, freeway speed rated tires, 12" rims, LED tail lights, side marker lights, etc. Each tire load rating is 785 lbs max. I think the axle rating is about 1300-1400 lbs, but their web site will show it for you. Can be modified to carry up to four kayaks (two bottom/two top) with various cross beams they offer. Made in the USA. I've driven a lot of freeway miles with it and no problems. Very sturdy and the Hobie saddles fit great on it. The front cross beam adjusts backward and forward along the tongue to get the distance correct for mounting the saddles if you choose to go that route. Cost was about $1100 and included shipping. Came in three boxes and took over a day to assemble. Great customer service. Just my thoughts.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 8:46 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I meant 12" rims.....not 12" wheels are better overall than the 8" rims if you are doing mostly highway traveling.
My Hobie trailex trailer has 8" rims and they are actually fine for my occasional use at highway speeds.....the key is to repack the wheel bearings annually. After two years of use, I replaced the original Chinese wheel bearings with Timken bearings....not cheap, but made in the USA and higher quality/longer life.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 7:58 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I have a single galvanized wave runner trailer I bought for about $200. I currently carry a single PA but I have room for 2. Keep in mind your cross pieces are what carry the PA and they can extend out to (even over) the fenders. I'd suggest softening your springs because it's made to haul a much heavier load. Find the trailer, if it has the smaller wheels, very easy to upgrade later. A lot of times these jet skis die and the owner just wants to part everything out, just want to get rid of the trailer..., I've seen them for $150.... check with dealerships that sell new/used waverunners...My local dealer was stacked up with use trailers....Keep in mind you prob won't be dipping it in the water, so galvanized or aluminum not really all that important. I fish salt and never get my tires in the water.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 8:39 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Double jet ski trailer with 12" rims is the way to go. I just hauled two pa 14's down to the Florida Keys which is about a 1,800 mile round trip. Didn't have any issues just put a few squirts of grease in at each stop and went 70 the whole way. Definitely nice when using boat ramps to just back it into the water to load/unload instead of toting two pa's.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 4:06 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

12" wheels are a minimum for use with a boat trailer. The smaller the wheel the more RPM's at any given speed and this tends to eat up the bearing grease. I use Bearing Buddy's on the wheels and carry a gun with marine grease and when I arrive at the launch area I fill the bearings with grease until they are full. That way there is no air pocket to cool down when the wheels hit the water and create a vacuum for water to get pushed into.

The jet ski trailers will have the boat hulls at least a foot closer to the water so you do not have to back as far down the boat ramp and can make do without an extendable tongue.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 4:20 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

We have the Trailex trailer, Hobie makes a craddle for the PA14 with the Outback we just flip it over and strap them both in. The trailer rides great even at 70mph, although we try to keep it around 65mph. Its made from aluminum so it is lightweight and we tow it behind my wifes VW Jetta Sportwagon, we do not even notice it back there.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 1:05 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Trailex only makes one trailer that I would want to use with PA boats, and that is their inflatable boat model. The rest all have the kayaks mounted too high off the ground to be able to easily slide them directly from the trailer and into the water.

Similar problem exists with the Malone kayak trailers. I have a Yakima trailer but my next one is going to be a modified jet ski trailer.