Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:12 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Dry silicone lube spray
PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 5:09 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I have read here that dry silicone spray lubricant is the preferred lubricant for the rudder lines. I am trying to understand if there is a difference between "dry" silicone spray and regular silicone spray. I realize the intent is to lubricate without leaving a dirt-attracting glob, so I just want to make sure. I have gone to two different Home Depots, Lowe's, Ace Hardware, an auto parts store, and West Marine in search of "dry" silicone spray lube. I can find regular silicone spray lube, but none that says "dry". There are plenty of PTFE dry lubes available locally, but I figured I would go with what is recommended. If you google it you can find plenty of "dry" silicone spray lube online, but I was hoping to find it locally.
I did read the FAQ's that RoadRunner posted dealing with the different lubricants and understand the regular silicone spray lube to become dry after the carrier evaporates.
So - in the end is there actually a difference between regular and dry silicone spray lube? Or - would the PTFE dry spray lubes be acceptable?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 10:10 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

They are definitely NOT all equal. I had a very bad experience with my Mistral Superlight (sailboard). That board uses a plastic puck arrangement, containing stainless springs, to tension the daggerboard in the trunk slot. They stick during long storage.

One day I sprayed some silicone spray (liquid type) into the daggerboard slot to "unstick" the board before I got on the water and needed to kick it down with my bare heel. I heard a series of loud snaps, and the plastic pucks shattered and popped out of the daggerboard trunk!

It turns out that some plastics are "shrunk" by certain solvents, which causes instant crazing and cracking. You may experience the same effect from some spray lubricants...I don't know which. WD40 still seems pretty safe. LPS 1 is good MOST of the time (it is a food equipment safe lube, but not very water resistant) and LPS1 leaves no residue over time.

Hope this helps somebody. Regards, JimL

PS: Do NOT be spraying slicone spray without a mask. To the best of my knowledge, it will not come out of your lungs.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 9:18 am 
Hobie Approved Guru

For hatch seals, rudder lines and rudder area, I use a spray on Silicon. After the carrier evaporates, there is no sticky residue and no build up. It doesn't last long, but seems to work well. I think there are much better Drive lubricants. I agree with JimL that some of the silicone carriers can be drying and detrimental to some surfaces. I haven't experienced any problems with these applications though.

The concern with WD-40 with your application is that it leaves a gummy residue which does not rinse off. This can build up, attracting small particulates from the water which can end up being abrasive.

Here's a discussion on different lubes:
http://www.hobiecat.com/community/viewtopic.php?t=6308
8)

Post subject: Dry Silicone Spray
PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 7:22 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Since my quest to find "dry" silicone spray started off with the mindset that it would be available at the first place I went to it quickly became more of a challenge with each local business that did not have it. Translation: After about the 8th place that did not have it I became more determined than ever to win the battle and find it no matter what. I found it online at a place called Aircraft Spruce and Specialty Company. It is an aircraft and pilot supplies place and you can find it here:

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/c ... licone.php
(funny typo there at the time I am posting this - it says ssprew instead of spray!)

$5.95 plus shipping.

I ordered 2 cans and received them today. I used it on the rudder line friction points and am fully expecting to be able to do 4g turns the next time I go kayaking! :lol: