Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:25 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Cart Wheels
PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 4:11 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Kayak Cart "Plug-In" Standard

I bought this cart and can see the wheels will have difficulty for some of the areas I will be launching. I would like to change to the more rugged tires/wheels though they require a different axle diameter. The standard wheel is 1/2" ID by 2" Wide. I am getting confuing information for the axle dimensions of the rugged wheels.

What are the dimensions of the Rugged wheels?
Does Hobie make the adapter (sleeve) for the Rugged wheels? If so what is the part number?

Thanks in advance.

Ps - I did search this forum and that is part of the confusion.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 10:42 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hi Ya T-City :)
:?: :?: :?: :?:
Kepnutz

Last edited by kepnutz on Tue Sep 16, 2008 4:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 11:04 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

This is the wheels I want to modify to use with the Hobie Standard Cart.

What I need is a nylon bushing with a 1/2" ID and 3/4" OD. That is if these wheels are the same 2" width at the bushing.

The problem is I can't find all the information I need since there seems to be at least one piece of information missing from every option. When I find the information for this modification I will post it.

Did not go to the lake today since I was up all night searching for people that do not belong in my backyard as well as other neighbors backyards. Eventually and neighbor and I chased him down the street but could not catch him. The police took three hours to get here. Then they wanted the answers to 20 questions, I was not happy with them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 9:11 am 
Site Admin

The heavy duty upgrade kit # 80043 does not fit anything but the original cart with the white golf cart wheels. On the newer standard cart, you may have to grind off the welded washer that the standard tire rim sits against to modify for other wheels. Seems to me the heavy duty upgrade would then work with a bit more work.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

Last edited by mmiller on Wed Sep 17, 2008 9:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 10:08 am 
Site Rank - Captain

mmiller wrote:
The heavy duty upgrade kit # 80043 does not fit anything but the original cart with the white golf carrt wheels. On the newer standard cart, you may have to grind off the welded washer that the standard tire rim sits against to modify for other wheels. Seems to me the heavy duty upgrade would then work with a bit more work.

Hi Matt,

Thanks for the information. It is difficult to plan this upgrade without knowing all of the information. What I can not find is the measurement of the "width at bushing". This will let me know if this wheel will fit (width) on the factory axle. If it does then I can find or make a bushing.

edit: I just discovered the width of the bushing of the 26.4 cm wheel is 72 mm or 2.8368. Sounds like a project for teh back burner or until I can get to a friends machine shop in San Diego.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 12:22 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

G'Day Tim,
Ah - now I know what you mean by rugged wheels!
I did fit these to the Trax cart. You may have already seen this post in your search:
http://www.hobiecat.com/community/viewt ... light=trax
The wheel hub width is actually 85mm. Not sure if the axle is long enough for this on the standard cart. The wheels come with a 3/4 to 1/2" bushing so the diameter is OK though. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 12:39 am 
Site Rank - Captain

stringy wrote:
G'Day Tim,
Ah - now I know what you mean by rugged wheels!
I did fit these to the Trax cart. You may have already seen this post in your search:
http://www.hobiecat.com/community/viewt ... light=trax
The wheel hub width is actually 85mm. Not sure if the axle is long enough for this on the standard cart. The wheels come with a 3/4 to 1/2" bushing so the diameter is OK though. :)

Hey Stringy,

Thanks for the information. If I had not already bought and used the Standard cart I would build one myself.

Today I stopped by Blue Collar Supply and found a tire/wheel with metal wheels and 10" tall tires for $12.90 each. They come with 5/8" ID bearings that are replaceable. BCS has 1/2" ID bearings at $1.77 each. The 'width at the bearing" is more than 2" but it might work with as simple as drilling another pin hole in the axle. Tomorrow I plan on taking everything to BCS to see if I can make this work. If not I should be able to buy the aluminum tubing and axle stock to make my own cart. All I need is to find a friend to weld the pieces or take it to a local machine shop for welding.

Is the kit you used for the old carts? Do the wheels plastic or metal?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 1:06 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Tim,
I used Hobie's Heavy Duty Upgrade Kit P/N 80043. The wheels are all plastic which is a great benefit. The wheels on my original homemade cart had metal rims and bearings. I couldn't stop them rusting and leaving stains on the kayak. :(
My original cart was not welded at all. The axle was located by the holes drilled in the tubes and Bimini fittings held it all together. It is still going strong!