Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 11:17 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 7:58 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Has any tandem users tried hooking up the front mirage drives to operate along with the rear drives when kayaking solo? I attempted it using cables to rig both units as one, but only noticed a slight difference in performance. There was a noticeable increase in effort in pedaling, however.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 11:50 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

G'Day bjb and welcome! :)
When we first got our Tandem about 18 months ago I did try exactly what you have suggested. I used 4mm spectra with an inline 'V' cam for tension to link the standard fin drives together. I experienced the same result as you- a lot of effort for very little reward. :(
I had trouble keeping the lines tensioned and so I began tinkering with aluminium tube clipped to the pedal shafts! :oops:
That idea was shelved though when I fitted the Turbo fins which for a little extra effort gave a lot of improvement, making the extra drive unnecessary. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 12:43 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thought about it but haven't tried it. It seems that using the arms and shoulders to operate standard fins on the front drive via ropes might work ok in conjuction with legs pumping turbo fins. But for now I've just been sitting up a bit straighter and pushing against my knees for added assist when my legs start getting tired.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 4:39 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Thanks Stringy. I'm going to install the turbo fins on the back and the st fins on the front. That seems like the best.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 1:31 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

bjb wrote:
Thanks Stringy. I'm going to install the turbo fins on the back and the st fins on the front. That seems like the best.

The best setup is turbos on the back and standard on the front? Please explain.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 5:03 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I like the idea of getting more power out of my pedalling. So, I'll try the turbos. However, my wife doesn't want that much effort so I'll put the ST fins up front. Read a post where someone tried this combo and was very happy with the results.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 8:26 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I believe in that yak, the limiting factor is the amount of water that gets pushed. There is a limit at which there are diminishing returns ( a lot more effort won't get you much more speed ) on any yak. On that model they are relatively low due to the hull design (its built for carrying two, not to be a speed demon), so I think that is why you won't see much improvement for all of the extra effort.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 1:12 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I own an oasis for more then a year now but I never thought of the option to push two drives at once. When I upgraded to the turbo's I was impressed by the improvement of performance and feeling control. But since my knees are not 100%, I guess pushing two drives is not the way to go for me.

You probably tried it already, but I found that pedaling and paddling at the same time is a very nice option to improve the performance. I had to get used to it at first, but now I really like to propel my oasis that way. And besides performance there are more advantages: it is a workout for the lower and upper body at the same time, and it keeps you warm easily in the colder seasons.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 2:16 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

bjb wrote:
I'm going to install the turbo fins on the back and the st fins on the front. That seems like the best.

That's the combination we have found works best for us. :)

Jorhyne,
The ST's are the middle grade of fin. They are the same length as the standards but with the Square Tip (ST) shape benefits. Roadrunner's great review may help:
http://www.hobiecat.com/community/viewt ... hlight=fin
or this:
http://www.hobiecat.com/community/viewt ... light=fins[/u]

TDRILL,
I agree -good point. Check this interesting post from you know who! :wink:
http://www.hobiecat.com/community/viewt ... hull+speed
Each of the fin upgrades did add a bit over 1km/h to our cruising speed though!

Skua,
Welcome! Always good to hear from another Oasis owner. I like the benefit pedaling and paddling at the same time gives when battling a strong headwind! 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 6:50 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Tried the oasis out today withe the new fin setup also added the large sail rudder. What a difference! Water had quite a chop to it and strong headwind, boat handled great, not much effort with pedaling to cover a lot of area. Larger rudder makes a big difference.