Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 1:09 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Sidekick questions
PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 8:21 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Can the sidekicks and bars be removed quickly? For example if you wanted to pull up to a dock.

What does AMA stand for?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 8:24 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

An ama is the outrigger in a trimaran.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 9:53 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I would say you could remove them really quick. It's just a snap of a button (exactly like the paddle connection) and a little tug, and they are off.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 4:00 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ama_(sailing)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 12:34 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Hawaiian (non-sailing) outrigger canoes have three components. The hull, the ama or floatation device, and the iako or the bars that connect the ama to the hull. Actually there is a fourth component if you include the stubby iako's that are used to transport or store the outrigger canoe.

I do miss outrigger canoe paddling but my shoulder doesn't.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 7:03 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks for the info guys. Would it be recommended to use sidekicks while out on the ocean but not using the sail? Anyone do that? I can't afford the sail kit right now, but will be going on the ocean, and don't want to capsize.

Also, when paddling, does your paddle hit the sidekick bar? If its mounted right behind your seat it seems like it would.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 8:39 am 
Site Admin

Yes, you have to alter a paddle stroke for the SideKick in most mounting positions. They are really great with the MirageDrive boats, but I would paddle with them off and insert once you get to a fish / dive / swim / eat / drink / photo shoot spot if using for a paddle only boat.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 12:58 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I have mine behind the seat on the revolution as you noticed in other posts you visited.
I find my paddle does not hit the bar but does hit the nose of the inflatable ama. I have a shorter paddle 210cm that I use if paddling with the sidekick and it takes less adjusted paddle stroke to avoid them. Typically I use a 230cm paddle when not using the sidekick. Pedaling of course is no issue.

Since you have not bought your sail yet you may want to look into the Pacific Coast Sail. I know a guy with one and he says he can reach and tack with it as well as downwind sail. There are always options. Personally I love the Hobie Sail accessory but then I never used a PCS.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 8:40 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Jorhyne,
I use my sidekicks 100% of the time. I can honestly say that I use my paddle maybe 2% of the time. I bought the sidekicks to stabilize the kayak should I make any sudden movements, and this winter found them invaluable as one time I was out, the surface temp was around 39 degrees. You wouldn't last long in that without the proper gear, and even the fact that it was a small lake, you have to wonder if you could make it to shore. It added a little piece of mind for me.

Oh, and I can't say enough about the sail. I got one for my birthday, and it's been an absolute blast.