Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:28 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 5:33 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

When a hull is replaced under warranty, does the new replacement hull come with its own new 2 year warranty that then expires 2 years from the date receipt of the new replacement hull, or does it merely assume the original kayak warranty which expires 2 years from the date of receipt of the original kayak?

For example, if your hull was replaced under warranty one day before the original 2 year kayak warranty expired, would your warranty coverage on the new replacement hull then expire the next day along with the original kayak warranty, or would the new hull come with its own 2 year warranty which would extend the warranty period on the hull (just the new hull, not the rest of the kayak) for 2 more years?

And if the answer is that the new replacement hull comes with its own 2 year warranty which would extend the warranty period on the hull (just the new hull, not the rest of the kayak) for 2 more years, then how many times can a hull be replaced under this warranty system? If the new replacement hulls kept cracking within the new hulls' 2 year warranty periods, then, in theory, you could keep receiving new hulls under warranty forever.

If the cracking seems to be a chronic problem (same crack in new hull in same location as in last hull), and if each new hull comes with its own new 2 year warranty, then I would assume that after one or two hull replacements Hobie would probably then try an alternative and more permanent solution, such as plastic welding to beef up the area on the kayak, or sending the customer an alternative model of kayak, or ???

I am on my 2nd Oasis hull, and this new year-old hull now has a crack in almost the same location (in-between the rear seat and the hatch cover, starting at one of the hatch screw holes) as on the original one, and I am wondering what the warranty status on the new replacement hull would be (my original kayak's 2 year warranty has expired at this point), and what the best long-term solution for this problem might be.

Jerry

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 9:00 am 
Site Admin

Officially, Warranty is from the date of original purchase.

Our history is that we back customers up on a repeat problems and go well beyond the official warranty with support.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)