Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 10:12 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 11:29 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

I recently got the chance to check out the new '09 Oasis and compare it with the previous model. This third generation bottom modernizes the oldest existing boat in the Hobie kayak fleet. Overall length, width, speed and rated capacity have not changed, but the new bottom improves initial stability, adds substantial additional buoyancy (as if it needs any) and extends the waterline length slightly. Hobie doesn't list girth, but the new model picks up about 3 1/4 inches amidships with its much fuller chines. The below pictures reveal a new kinship with the Adventure and Revolution.

Here the new (darker) and recent Oases are compared side by side:

As you can see, there is little resemblance with Hobie's other tandem, the Outfitter (blue):

The bow section has been subtly reshaped, with some of the rocker removed, creating a longer waterline length. Theoretically this gives more speed potential and contributes to greater longitudinal stability (noticeable when soloing).

Whereas its excellent overall stability remains about the same, initial stability on the new Oasis is greatly increased. Here with full body weight equally suspended at the gunwales, the new hull shows markedly less heel.

On the water, the rear seat sits about 1 to 1 1/2 inches higher yet the boat feels rock solid. Those familiar with the older Oasis know that you can feel every change in your partner's position. Not so with the new hull. Though the hull depth has not changed appreciably, I suspect the boat displaces at least one inch less depth with its flatter bottom.
Overall speed is about the same. With Jerry from the local dealership in front and two sets of Turbofins, we sprinted to 7.3 MPH twice in both the old and new hulls (it didn't hurt that he only weighs 140 lbs.). Rudder response was about the same in both -- slow but decent with the standard rudder and very responsive with the sailing rudder (I brought one along).

I got to go out solo as well. A close study of these next two pics shows the difference in seating height (using the visible mold seam below the gunwale as a reference point). With identical ballast loads, notice how much higher the new stern sits above the water. The new boat also sits a little more level, showing off its improved longitudinal stability -- note the bow is a little closer to the water. The pedals sit deeper in the drivewell, giving the illusion that the deck is higher. This first boat below is our '08 Oasis and the second is the '09.

Solo sprint speed with the old was 6.4; 6.3 with the new, a negligible difference. One hour cruise speeds were within .1 MPH between the two.

Boat wakes for this beast? Absolutely! Large rudder control was excellent, the boat felt rock solid and I stayed high and dry back at my perch at the helm.

The wife and I even did a little towing with it (I was just looking for a flimsy excuse to throw another picture in):

I'm not sure why Hobie hasn't increased the capacity rating from 550 lb. IMO, there is at least another 100 lb. of buoyancy and a substantial reserve on top of that.

Other changes of course include the Click N Go pedal retention system, grab handles amidships and dual scuppers for the seats. As mentioned before, the drivewell is a little deeper. The Click N Go performed flawlessly, but the rear Drive was harder to position than it was with the Revolution. This may have been because the drivewell seal tended to stick a little bit in the narrow well channel.

The new handles are long overdue and a welcome aid in handling this bulky boat. Of course, they can be easily added to the older boats as well.

I can't comment on sailing since the opportunity didn't present itself. I would expect it to be pretty similar, but with less heel.

I've always been a fan of the Oasis. In most respects the '09's performance is very similar to the previous model (same cockpit as the '08 ). The front seat feels about the same, but the slight changes in altitude and pedal position in the back cockpit are a nice improvement -- definitely noticeable. The enhanced initial stability is also noteworthy. And with all this additional unofficial capacity, one could transport two full sized refrigerators laid across the front cockpit now instead of one! Excellent improvement! 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 1:06 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Thanks for the very informative review Roadrunner. Good to see Hobie have refined this most versatile craft and even taken onboard your handles solution! 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 7:39 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Marvelous report!

Hobie seems to change thier hulls frequently. Add to that the new hulls required for the click-n-go drives and one can imagine some very busy Hobie engineers. :o

We almost bought the tandem 6 years ago but at the time opted for 2 sports instead. I think this is the 3rd hull change in the tandem now called the Oasis.

Since Hobie seems able to crank out new hull designs I hope we see a tandem Oasis-Island type boat in the future.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 10:37 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks for the info on the '09 model.

Hey Roadrunner...I noticed in this report you mentioned that yours is an '08 Oasis...in a previous old post about THRU scupper holes in front of the rear hatch you had speculated that perhaps yours might be an '07...did it turn out to be an '08 model after all? Date of manufacture is irrelevant, of course, since next year's models start being manufactured in the previous year. The only digits in the hull number that matter are the last two...are yours '08?

I think that the THRU scupper holes in front of the rear hatch started with the '08 model. The only other changes that I can think of between the '07 model and '08 model would be the newer THRU-setscrew method of attaching the rudder up/down control handle to the crank on the '08 model (the '07 still used just a short set screw with NO hole drilled thru the crank), and on the '08 model the hull number was moved up to the SIDE of the right side of the kayak above the "seam" and has a rounded-ends border, whereas the '07 had the hull number on the BOTTOM of the kayak (right of center) in a rectangular squared-off border.

Does your '08 match the above description? On the 2009, did they retain the THRU scupper holes in front of the rear hatch? I use those holes to hold my umbrella...hope they retained them so my next Oasis will still have them!

:-)

Jerry

Roadrunner wrote:
I recently got the chance to check out the new '09 Oasis and compare it with the previous model. This third generation bottom modernizes the oldest existing boat in the Hobie kayak fleet. Overall length, width, speed and rated capacity have not changed, but the new bottom improves initial stability, adds substantial additional buoyancy (as if it needs any) and extends the waterline length slightly. Hobie doesn't list girth, but the new model picks up about 3 1/4 inches amidships with its much fuller chines. The below pictures reveal a new kinship with the Adventure and Revolution.

Here the new (darker) and recent Oases are compared side by side:

As you can see, there is little resemblance with Hobie's other tandem, the Outfitter (blue):

The bow section has been subtly reshaped, with some of the rocker removed, creating a longer waterline length. Theoretically this gives more speed potential and contributes to greater longitudinal stability (noticeable when soloing).

Whereas its excellent overall stability remains about the same, initial stability on the new Oasis is greatly increased. Here with full body weight equally suspended at the gunwales, the new hull shows markedly less heel.

On the water, the rear seat sits about 1 to 1 1/2 inches higher yet the boat feels rock solid. Those familiar with the older Oasis know that you can feel every change in your partner's position. Not so with the new hull. Though the hull depth has not changed appreciably, I suspect the boat displaces at least one inch less depth with its flatter bottom.
Overall speed is about the same. With Jerry from the local dealership in front and two sets of Turbofins, we sprinted to 7.3 MPH twice in both the old and new hulls (it didn't hurt that he only weighs 140 lbs.). Rudder response was about the same in both -- slow but decent with the standard rudder and very responsive with the sailing rudder (I brought one along).

I got to go out solo as well. A close study of these next two pics shows the difference in seating height (using the visible mold seam below the gunwale as a reference point). With identical ballast loads, notice how much higher the new stern sits above the water. The new boat also sits a little more level, showing off its improved longitudinal stability -- note the bow is a little closer to the water. The pedals sit deeper in the drivewell, giving the illusion that the deck is higher. This first boat below is our '08 Oasis and the second is the '09.

Solo sprint speed with the old was 6.4; 6.3 with the new, a negligible difference. One hour cruise speeds were within .1 MPH between the two.

Boat wakes for this beast? Absolutely! Large rudder control was excellent, the boat felt rock solid and I stayed high and dry back at my perch at the helm.

The wife and I even did a little towing with it (I was just looking for a flimsy excuse to throw another picture in):

I'm not sure why Hobie hasn't increased the capacity rating from 550 lb. IMO, there is at least another 100 lb. of buoyancy and a substantial reserve on top of that.

Other changes of course include the Click N Go pedal retention system, grab handles amidships and dual scuppers for the seats. As mentioned before, the drivewell is a little deeper. The Click N Go performed flawlessly, but the rear Drive was harder to position than it was with the Revolution. This may have been because the drivewell seal tended to stick a little bit in the narrow well channel.

The new handles are long overdue and a welcome aid in handling this bulky boat. Of course, they can be easily added to the older boats as well.

I can't comment on sailing since the opportunity didn't present itself. I would expect it to be pretty similar, but with less heel.

I've always been a fan of the Oasis. In most respects the '09's performance is very similar to the previous model (same cockpit as the '08 ). The front seat feels about the same, but the slight changes in altitude and pedal position in the back cockpit are a nice improvement -- definitely noticeable. The enhanced initial stability is also noteworthy. And with all this additional unofficial capacity, one could transport two full sized refrigerators laid across the front cockpit now instead of one! Excellent improvement! 8)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 12:24 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

Soyjer wrote:
Hey Roadrunner... The only digits in the hull number that matter are the last two...are yours '08?

I think that the THRU scupper holes in front of the rear hatch started with the '08 model. The only other changes that I can think of between the '07 model and '08 model would be the newer THRU-setscrew method of attaching the rudder up/down control handle to the crank on the '08 model....

On the 2009, did they retain the THRU scupper holes in front of the rear hatch? I use those holes to hold my umbrella...hope they retained them so my next Oasis will still have them!

Yes, mine is an '08, and yes, the '09 retains the "umbrella stand" scuppers. BTW, don't forget that that there were changes with the '08 Drives as well -- redesigned drums and chain/cables. The '09s added the threaded masts and splined drumshafts (actually a running change from '08 ).

As long as we're on the subject, I forgot to mention the new up/down rudder pull-handles replacing the old lever. A lot of people are going to like this. They work very well, but then, I don't have an issue with the older system either. 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 12:36 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

OK, thanks. I also use those THRU scupper holes to remove my scupper cart while out on the water...MUCH easier to do with the THRU scupper holes available.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 5:43 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hey Roadrunner (and Hobie),

Why has there been no publicity (that I can find) regarding this new hull design. My local dealer is offering me a discount on an '08 Oasis, but if the '09 officially has an improved hull, that's the way I'll go.

Thanks,

Will

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 8:45 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

Hi Will,

Hobie seems to take a low key position on certain evolutionary changes and save their official announcements for the new stuff, usually at the Outdoor Recreation Show every August and in their ads, which are obviously reserved for selected product promotions.

As a manufacturer, they probably rely on their dealership network to get the word out on changes and updates, especially with the general public.

The forum seems to be an exception, but if you've noticed, Hobie relegates itself to a supportive rather than a marketing role. I think that's good.

So a lot of improvements seem to slip through the crack. I heard there was a new improved cart also, but haven't seen any reports yet.

Regarding the '08 vs '09 Oasis, you didn't mention the difference in price. But all things being reasonably close, I would trade my '08 for an '09! I think the improvements are noteworthy. They're both excellent and versatile cruisers, but I really like the C&G and the feel of this new hull design. Getting a pair of '09 Drives with "V-2" sprockets is a great bonus. 8)

Post subject: 08-09 hull
PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 10:18 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I just got 09 hull because 08 developed crack around rear scupper hole. It was under warranty so replacement was no problem. being a novice at this I can tell new hull is sturdier and handles better. I'm sort of glad I had the problem so I could get the new hull

Post subject: Re: 08-09 hull
PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 8:20 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

nenahnezad wrote:
I just got 09 hull because 08 developed crack around rear scupper hole. It was under warranty so replacement was no problem. being a novice at this I can tell new hull is sturdier and handles better. I'm sort of glad I had the problem so I could get the new hull

Nenahnezad,

Were you able to keep the '08 drive units? Do they work OK with the '09 hull? I am asking because my new '08 hull has some quality issues, and I am considering asking for a replacement. I will never again purchase a boat without first having it unpacked for inspection.

Post subject: 08/09 hull
PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 8:49 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

The drive units fit. I just had to get the knack of dropping them in the new latches. I noticed that there was sort of a dip in the hull that formed the rear scupper hole. It looked different than the forward one. That's where the cracked formed. Get it replaced if you can. I had no problem getting mine replaced. You'd also like the new pull lines to flip rudder. Much better than old handle.