Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 1:24 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Fishfinders
PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 3:22 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Can anyone recommend a decent quality fishfinder in the $150max range? Most use will be salt water probably up to 70' depth. I know everyone has their preference, but there are so many choices available just trying to narrow it down.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 2:07 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I have had great luck with the PiranhaMax 240. Three beams, 90 degree coverage. Retails for $139

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 5:13 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I have been looking at that one. Great reviews on it, thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 11:57 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I agree the PiranhaMax is a great unit I just swapped out my Eagle Cuda 168 for the Humminbird PiranhaMax 220 Retail $99.00 got on sale at BassPro Shop for $79.00. Dual Beam works great and better resolution than the comparable Eagle Cuda. Simpler use with only 3 buttons.

Since I have a couple kayaks and a deck boat I chose to use a removable mounting system I saw on an australian website (of course cannot find it again) by utilizing a screw-in drain plug with a rubber stopper for the cables. I used a foam block glued to inside of hull with G.E. Silicone II adhesive. The opening for the transducer I fill with water then place the transducer in it and set to go. The sounding through the hull is clear and precise.

For the fishfinder location I have seen many mounts posted most too far from the seat to be easily seen. I elected to mount mine inside the netted storage compartment on my right side tight to the aft. I used a Ram 1" ball mount for a PiranhaMax (around $35.00). I mounted the ball inside the storage well at aft end and drilled a 1" hole forward of it for the drain plug. I mounted the drain plug with screws and some Marine Goop. I drilled and cut a rubber stopper to accept the cables and cut some of the length off. The 1" drain plug allows both power and transducer cables to pass through easily. Placing the rubber stopper onto the cables and pressing it into the threaded plug hole holds tight and is watertight.

For Power I have an 8 "AA" battery box using rechargeable batteries in a dry bag inside hull attached with velcro tape.

I attached a cord to the base of the 1" ball tied off to a brass screw eye inserted into the stopper and tied off at the end to the screw in cap for the drain plug keeping them both attached to the kayak and inside the netted compartment. When storing/pleasure pedaling/paddling or sailing the fishfinder is removed and the drain cap screwed in. When fishing I hook up the finder and insert the stopper. This system I can swap between boats without having to blow a fortune getting a fishfinder for each one.

There is still ample storage in the netted compartment. This can also be a permanent mount as well. I personally prefer the fishfinder in close proximity to my seat and the Ram mount height keeps it just above the siderail which is low enough to be out of the way.

I will get some pics this weekend and post.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 2:51 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

PiranhaMax 240 removable mount here too, because I have a couple of kayaks, and because mounting transducer IN THE WATER on a removeable arm works better with the tribeam, (and is more accurate with any FF on temperatures) than mounting inside the hull.)

I used 3/4" PVC to mount transducer, but I've seen triple scotty mounts and I'll probably get "The Liberator" (below) when I get my new Sport this coming spring.

click here for Liberator Portable mount about 7 pictures, click next on each

Triple Scotty

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 2:21 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I took some pictures of my Revolution fishing setup .. perhaps helpful for other newbie revolution kayak fisherman.

I am also including the install of a removable fish finder mounting.

The first image shows the ram 1" ball & the screw-in drain plug installed in the starboard meshed compartment (mesh removed for clarity). Note the cord attaching the plug and the stopper. The transducer foam pad was glued to inside of hull with G.E. Silicone II adhesive. I place water in the recess insert transducer and all set.

Storage/Transport of the entire fishfinder setup is in a HYDRA LIGHT 2 Liter dry bag.

Place transducer in pad with water, run cables up through drain plug, inset cables into stopper, plug stopper into drain plug tightly and keep battery box in drybag inside hull.

Cockpit view .. I put my anchor & line onto a hand reel for ease of deployment and retrieve. I keep it handy hanging on a rod holder or in the crate behind the seat.

Anchor deployment simply unwind from reel, clip line into a carabiner clip attached to the anchor trolley ring and tie off to interior cleat.

Full setup with crate, insulated live bait bucket with aerator & bait net, soft-sided cooler, hobie rod holder extensions, triple rod holder mounted to crate, fishfinder, forward Ram rod holders & anchor trolley. Sidekick Amas crossbar just behind seat.

I hope this is helpful to anyone looking to rig a Revo.
Happy Fishing

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 3:27 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I bought a Hawkeye ff3355p lastnight from Amazon it only cost 49.95 it uses 4 AA batteries and it is all portable. Can't wait to rig it on my Hobie. I was tired of battery hassles. Spazz cast getting snagged on my big permanent Fish Finder. Garmin FF90 it worked real good it was just always in the way. I believe in K.I.S.S. keep it simple stupid. The lighter and smaller the better.
Brazos

PS. Check it out. http://www.norcrossmarine.com/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 6:59 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Brazos,
That is a nice little portable unit.

How is it for taking readings while in motion? I can see its use as a stationary depth/fish finder but can you drag the transducer behind you and still have an accurate reading? Just curious.

Still a nice little unit and very compact. Sure can't complain about the price.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 3:23 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I'm still waiting for it to come in. I am excited. The research I have done on that little unit I think that I will be able to shoot thru the hull and get accurate readings. Even underway.
Brazos

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 8:39 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Keep us posted on how well it works.

Revo