Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 7:22 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 12:41 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I found myself going against a very fast current the other day and I was peddling like crazy. I broke out the paddle and it gave me an excellent boost in speed and got me back to the launching point much quicker had I peddled alone. I had to repeatedly stop paddling to adjust the rudder, but other than that it worked well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 1:22 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Try raising the rudder and steering with the paddle like on a rudderless kayak.

Kayaking Bob

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 3:34 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

reconlon wrote:
Try raising the rudder and steering with the paddle like on a rudderless kayak.

Kayaking Bob

I tried raising the rudder and the Kayak (Oasis) would go completely out of control. I had to spin completely around in a 360 just to go in the correct direction. After trying that I lowered the rudder down again. These Hobies are awful in trying to steer with paddles alone IMO.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 2:35 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Pedaling and paddling at the same time (rudder up) is what I always do when solo cruising in my oasis (early 08 ). Tracking is not great, but, when pedaling at the same time, for me it is certainly not awful. There is an important condition that must be met though: there must not be any serious wind. With too much wind it is no longer possible to keep the oasis on the planned course soloing it without rudder.

Before I had the turbo's I considered tracking while pedaling and paddling at the same time just good enough to cruise that way. But with the turbo's pumping, tracking is noticeably better and now I love going that way. I like to paddle, the movement and the feeling and I like the control over the water/boat with both legs and arms. Doing both is a nice workout for your whole body, keeping you warm in any climate and the speed is quite satisfactory, which is, I think, quite unique for a heavy and wide kayak like the oasis.

Without pedaling (drives removed or fins up and rudder up) tracking is much worse, but as long as there is no hindering wind, although it is quite hard, it is doable after some practicing. I do it regularly to pass through a small canal with an overdoses of weeds.