Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 9:22 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 9:27 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I recently picked up a replacement hull for my 07/08' Revolution and when I tried to install the old mirage drive (with updated drive shaft) only one side will click in. The other side remains unlatched and I have to brace my hand against the side of the kayak while I "rock" and push the problem side down to activate the latch. When I try to release the latch I have to push pretty hard against the latch lever to release.

I've checked the drive well to ensure that the drive unit itself is fully seated in the well area and the drum axle seems to be resting properly in the click-n-go system. I did "hammer" in one side of the drum axle which was about an eighth of an inch longer than the other side. This didn't seem to resolve the problem.

Since I have to "rock" the drive to get it installed I'm thinking that there might be an alignment problem or maybe the 07' drum axle (cam-based)has a larger diameter than the new 09 drum axles (click-n-go based)? Does anyone know if the click-n-go system itself can be adjusted to accommdate the drum axle?

The latch does close but not without serious pressure so I'm concerned that I may damage the drive or have a problem on the water if I have to install or release the drive in rough conditions.

Here are some pictures of the problem:

This side closed properly

This side only closes after I apply considerable pressure!

Any advice and/or insight regarding this problem is much appreciated.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 11:47 am 
Site Admin

It is possible that the front and rear of the spine is bottomed out before the shaft can get fully into the lock position. Two ways to fix...

Remove a small amount of material from the spine or raise the loc fittings with small washers. The tolerance was too tight in some early 2009 models.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 12:02 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I apologize for my ignorance but what is the spine? Also, I've been in contact with Jacque and he had reccomended raising the loc fittings with the washers as well. I attempted to use a 3/16 ball end allen wrench to loosen the bolt and broke off the tip of the wrench due to the tightness of the bolt. I was unaware that the factory had applied a little locite to the bolt which is holding extremely well. I don't think I can loosen the bolt without breaking the fitting.

Jacque also suggested that I sand down the side of the drum where it comes into contact with the click system? Can you tell me how much and should I focus on the immediate area where the drum axle comes out of the drum?

Thanks.....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 2:48 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

Does the Click N Go operate OK with your old axle inserted (without the Drive)? When you insert the Drive with the new axle, is it able to rock fore and aft slightly? 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 2:50 pm 
Site Admin

The spine is the main structure of the drive. Focus on the forward and aft ends of the spine where it seats in the hull.

The drive has 4 contact points... fore and aft spine ends and the drum shaft left and right contact points in the ez loc.

You can raise the click n go fittings or lower the points where the spine rests.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 3:11 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Okay, this is starting to make more sense. Since I can't loosen the loc fitting due to the locite on the bolt should I then sand down the fore and aft points of the "spine" so that the unit seats lower in the drive well?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 3:29 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Roadrunner,
the dealer kept the old axle so I don't know if it would fit the new click-n-go. When the drive with the new axle is installed I cannot "rock" the drive fore and aft since its held so tightly by the loc fittings....

Matt (hobie) reccomends that I remove some of the excess material on the fore and aft spine ends. Do you think I should just sand a little bit off or is there a better way?

thanks.....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 4:36 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

If you have a file it might be easier and faster. You would remove the material from the bottom surface of tangs of the spine (rear tang shown here). When finished, you should get at least a little rocking motion indicating that the Drive is fully seated on the Click and Go units. That should solve your problem.

As long as your drums aren't pinched between the C & G units, I wouldn't be concerned about removing any drum material. They are designed to fit with minimal gap. 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 5:25 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Roadrunner,

I've benefited from reading many of your postings and again you provide sage advice! I hope Hobie appreciates the value of your contributions which is above and beyond the norm!

Thanks and I'll report back on the results....

~ yakfisher ~