Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:47 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 9:50 am 
Site Rank - Captain

He gets out OK , but this vid is worth a look. I love Sydney but this would make me think twice next time I'm there.

http://tinyurl.com/83z2je

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 11:19 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Scary just plain scary! A few beers after that try a case LOL! Would not need a bathroom after that fishing trip .. it would be left in the kayak.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 4:58 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

That gives picking cotton a whole new meaning.
Brazos

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 8:58 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Your title is a bit misleading. I was expecting to see the kayaker get knocked into the water.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 9:17 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I believe one of them did get knocked into the water.
Brazos

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 9:24 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Just watched it again. And read the article that young man did get knocked off the yak.
Brazos

One of the group was even knocked into the water by the shark, and was forced to tread water while the man-eating creature circled him for a minute.

The incident took place in Sydney, Australia, on the same day that Brian Guest, of Perth, was killed by a shark on the other side of the country.

Steve Kulcsar, the 29-year-old kayaker who was knocked overboard, told the Australian Daily Telegraph: "A fisherman yelled out, 'There's a 5m shark coming your way.' We all thought he was just trying to stir us up for a laugh, but a few moments later, a big fin appeared."

Mr Kulcsar recalled the moment the shark bumped him into the water. "I wasn't really worried about the shark, actually," he told the newspaper. "I knew it was there, but my first thought was to just get back in the kayak as quick as possible."

He said that making a quick change in direction could have been what prompted the shark to go for his boat.

"When it cruised past me, I thought I was safe, so I went as quickly as I could in the opposite direction," he said. "I think that was my mistake, because then it turned around and chased me. If I had stayed still, I think I would have been OK."

After a minute in the water, Mr Kulcsar was able to climb back into his kayak. The fishermen then hauled him into their boat. After ten nervy minutes, the shark lost interest in the group and swam away.

Mr Kulcsar added: "I'm not really shaken up at all. At the time I was, but now I'm just having a few beers."