Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:58 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 10:59 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I guess the big question is how much weight can you take off the boat without using tools?

Can you actually get the P.A. down to 88 lbs (which is still a bunch) before you hoist it onto a vehicle? If 88 lbs is the weight before a bunch of stuff is screwed on, and the real "stripped" weight is over 100 lbs, then we better start stocking up on trailers.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 11:33 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Roadrunner:

Are you saying that when Hobie claims a hull weight of 48 pounds for the Sport that excludes all fittings and is just raw hull (plastic) weight? I doubt it. So why would this be measured differently?

I am still confused on the 50 pound difference when a Mirage Drive weighs about 7 pounds. How much can the seat weigh?[/quote]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 12:02 pm 
Site Admin

Like Roadrunner mentioned... there is a LONG list of stuff attached to the hull.

Reality is you would ouly have to lift half the weight anyway if done properly. The hull has built-in skids on the stern to help loading. Cart up to the car. Lift the bow up and onto the rack and then lift the stern and slide on. Thule has a new system coming out to will really make this easy.

You could remove the Drive, paddle, forward tub and center tackle bucket. The seat can come off as well. That seat is about 17 lbs including the mounting frame I am told.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 2:53 pm 
Site Admin

Here is a short video on car topping the Pro Angler. Shows the integrated transom skids.

http://www.hobiecat.com/media/video/video_pro_angler_cartop.html

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 1:11 am 
Hobie Team Member

It looks like we'll have one in the OEX booth at Fred Hall LB so make sure to check it out. It'll be hard to miss our booth this year...it's a bit bigger than we've ever done.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 4:56 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Looks like a really awesome boat for those who kayak fish predominantly.... the AI is way more my speed. I bet they sell alot of these. To bad the economy sucks as more would be sold. I want Hobie to do well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 9:35 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

ElementAI wrote:
Looks like a really awesome boat for those who kayak fish predominantly.... the AI is way more my speed. I bet they sell alot of these. To bad the economy sucks as more would be sold. I want Hobie to do well.

I can't comment about the other dealers, but the Hobie business has been good in Dallas. True, the boat show attendance/sales were off. But we're getting calls as a result of the shows. Kayaks and cats are finding new homes every week. And the parts business seems to warming up sooner than last year. We're not complaining.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 12:19 pm 
Authorized Hobie Dealer

Location: 315 N. Hwy 79 Panama City Beach, FL 32413 850-235-2281
Economy is somewhat good for this industry. it takes the high priced water toys outa the pictures. Were off a bit from last year but it has been cold in NW Florida this year.

http://www.sunjammers.com
www.facebook.com/sunjammers

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 3:57 pm 
Hobie Team Member

Can anyone point me to a picture showing the retractable rudder....where it is positioned and/or how?

Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 4:36 pm 
Authorized Hobie Dealer

Location: 315 N. Hwy 79 Panama City Beach, FL 32413 850-235-2281
here is the brochure of the boat, its about all we have. As soon as I get our shipment of boats I will be able to get more angles and video of the actual boat on and off the water.

http://www.scribd.com/doc/12722228/Mira ... r-Brochure

http://www.sunjammers.com
www.facebook.com/sunjammers

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 10:26 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

So if the economy is bad and people wanna fish away from shore then this is the way to go, no gas no registration(be quiet about that one Californians)in most circumstances no insurance so costs are very low also add to that you don't need a large truck or SUV to tow these either so pass on the word of gr8 economics surrounding the use of Kayaks and this gr8 way of fishing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 8:02 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I guess economy may help the less expensive vessels sell, but for us it was drought. We had a couple of really dry years, to the point the boat ramps didn't reach the water. Those were good years to be in the kayak business.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 8:18 am 
Hobie Team Member

One thing that really affects the shops up around here is how short the season is. We sell a few boats during the winter months but not many compared to those sold during the season when they can actually be demoed or used.

We normally hold ice on the lakes until mid to late April and people don't really start getting out in earnest until closer to Memorial Day. By Labor Day things are starting to cool down and by the first part of October we can start seeing snow. You can see how this would greatly affect the volume of sales for our region as compared to southern or coastal regions. The same applies to the sail craft or kayaks.

With the economy uncertainty, people are less likely to spend on items that will be in storage 7 or 8 months out of the year.

BTW - you might have seen e-mail jokes etc. but up here our local ice cream shop DOES open on Mother's Day and closes on Labor Day. :lol: