Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:51 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 6:53 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I'd be very grateful for some advice from you experienced kayakers.

I bought my Hobie Sport a couple of days ago and bought a Thule rack system at the same time. (Scroll down for photos.) I need to be able to load and unload the boat by myself, and I'm a woman of medium build and average strength. Since my Civic has very sloping ends, I reasoned that loading from the side using the Thule outrigger attachment (extension for one of the bars) would be my best bet.

I had assumed that I would rotate the boat to upside-down while it was on the ground beside the car, then I would lift the stern (so as not to grind the rudder on the ground) to the outrigger, then lift the bow to the other bar, then straighten the boat on the rack. I could place a rug or foam knee pad under the bow to protect it during this process. (Note: with the outrigger on the front bar, the stern would end up facing forward, but I don't think this would make any difference. If it did, I could put the outrigger on the back bar instead.)

The dealer, after installing my rack according to specifications, recommended I load the boat right-side-up. He sold me some foam blocks to pad the middle of the hull and we loaded the boat together. I did not try using the outrigger while at the shop.

Once home, I was able to unload it by myself just fine. What a surprise, though, to find that I could not load it again! I had assumed this would be easy since the car is very low. What I did not consider is that the far end of the outrigger is not tall enough to prevent the curved hull from sliding right over it. It did, and the boat made a nice crease all down my driver's side door. I did manage to hold on to it, but I still snapped the rudder pin. Fortunately there was no worse damage.

I think that probably I will have to pad the width of the bars and go with my original plan of loading the boat upside-down. The outermost end of the outrigger would stop the sharp edge of the gunwale (right term, I hope) as it would not the large curve of the hull.

Any other ideas?? The photos below were taken as a friend and I tried out various ideas. They obviously don't show the boat properly loaded.

Thanks very much.

Becky Phillips
Crystal River, FL

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 11:24 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

Becky, if there's a will, there's a way. A lot of folks carry their boats inverted on bare (ie: without accessories) racks resting on the gunwales -- in fact, it's the preferred method recommended in your Hobie manual and the easiest IMO. The boats can ride either forward or backward. Whatever is easier for you works.

There is a local woman with a Sport and a small car like yours. Her trunk opens into the back seat area. She just rolls her boat up to the trunk and shoves it in. It sticks out some behind the car but that's perfectly legal (anything more than 3 feet here and you just need a red flag on the trailing end). Advantages (if the boat fits) -- it is the least lifting, the quickest and it requires no racks.

Last but not least, they make a small receiver that mounts below your back bumper. A T-bar on it (similar to a bicycle carrier) fits into it, allowing you to load from the rear -- if your current mounting arrangement proves too difficult to operate. Here you can see the idea:

Of course, you should be able to get a smaller version for your car. And, as you know, it is removed when not transporting your boat.

No matter which way you end up loading, it gets easier with practice! 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 5:52 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks for your reply, Roadrunner. I’ve enjoyed reading many of your posts here and have already learned a lot from you (and others), so it’s great to have your input. I do have the will, so I am certain I will find a way!

Your ideas provide food for thought. I had considered trying to bring the boat inside through the trunk, but the car is pretty new and there might be times when the boat would be wet or muddy. The T-bar solution is intriguing. If I can’t do it any other way, it’s nice to know that may be an option, though I really don’t want to spend more money if that can be avoided. I was prepared for the cost of the Hobie, but the cost of the rack system floored me.

I appreciate your pointing out that it gets easier with practice. I guess my little boat has me forgetting there usually is a learning curve in new things. My first step in the first Hobie I tested was as if I’d been pedaling one all my life.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 7:44 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hi Becky,

I have had a similar situation and tried many roof rack options. My probelem is height because I went from a Nissan Pathfinder (high enough) to a Nissan Xterra (even higher where reach is the problem from the side). I carried my yaks on their side but turned out to be too much of wind catchers that blew me all over the road on gusty days.

Anyway ... I have the Thule rack and looked into the rack pads which noone had locally and I needed to get on the water so could not wait for an online order. I went to my local hardware store (not Lowes or the Depot they do not have it) and purchased 1" dia. x 6 foot long pipe insulation cut to length which wraps the bar completely and is held in place by 4 self sticking velcro straps for each bar also available at your hardware store.

I put a thick old quilt (could be a carpet remnant) over the back of my Xterra and put the bow of the yak onto the quilt then push it up onto the rack from the rear. The hull slides over the quilt and onto the insulation without being too slick and you do not have to worry about accuracy of hitting it on the small pads. Since the entire bar is covered you can shift it where you want it once on the rack and the insulation protects the hull against the raw bar.

A tip for strapping down where reaching over the yak is a problem:
loop the strap around the rack towards center of the roof of your vehicle and tie ends of strap to a length of rope (your bowline & stern line for example) and drape the line over your hood and do the same for the rear strap draping it over the back of your vehicle. Once the yak is on the roof you can use the rope end to whip the strap up over the yak and you are ready to tie it off to the rack inside the towers. Remove the rope from straps, strap down yak and tie off bow & stern and off ya go.

I too did not want to spend more on 'j' racks , 't' bars, etc. The rack was costly enough. I also need to carry 2 yaks side by side, a 30" width and a 33" width on a factory roof rack only 36" wide. The 66" Thule bars did the trick and the two pieces of pipe insulation and velcro straps were a whole $25.

Hope tips are helpful

Revo

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 9:19 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Revo and all -- I'm almost too excited to write. Got to get out on the water! Got up this morning and threw the thing on the rack without even getting dressed. Upside down did the trick, just like I thought I would. It was on the car before I was full awake.

Your pipe insullation tip is very timely. I have no padding on the racks now, and though everything is tied down very securely, I had planned to stop somewhere to buy a wrap of some sort. Thanks for the great suggestion. I like the price, too :D

I'm only 10 minutes from King's Bay here in Crystal River, and that's where I'm headed. If I dare, I'll take my camera out on the water. (Note to self: Pick up watertight box for camera.)

Oh, I bought a sail on Craig's List yesterday. Can't wait to try that out, too!

Becky

Last edited by Becky Phillips on Wed Feb 18, 2009 1:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 9:52 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Becky the sails are so much fun!!!

I have the revolution and I do not know about the sport but you may want to get the sidekick amas if you plan to sail in anything over 10 mph winds (I know .. something else to buy). You do not want a gust to turtle you (capsize). I almost did a few times and opted for the sidekick amas. I do not like unexpected baths.

Glad you got the loading worked out. Enjoy your new toy.

Revo

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 1:58 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Don't worry, I'll practice quite a bit in shallow water before I go out in any real wind.

It might have been a good day to sail today, though not for the inexperienced sailor. I didn't put the kayak in the water at all because it was just too windy. Oh well, we drove all around the bay scouting access points and also got a good map and birding guide from the Crystal River Preserve State Park. There is so much natural water to explore here!

I had my buddy take this picture of me and my boat. I will pad the bars. I don't think I really need the bow and stern ropes. After this I took the boat down by myself without a problem. It's great to have that problem solved! Thanks again for the help. I really appreciate this forum, too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 3:44 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hi Becky,

I was refering to the bow and stern tie downs as you have in your picture.
Tieing those to the ends of straps temporarily as an extension. Your car is low enough probably not needed but for some of us with high vehicles reaching the opposite side of the yak on the roof to pull a strap over is a bear so having a temporary extension to the strap makes life easier. Looks like you have yours setup just fine.

Welcome to the forum and the Hobie Clan.

A nice area not too far from your neck of the woods is the Ocala/Silver Springs area and the Oklawaha River .. a Great place to canoe and kayak. They can take you upstream for a day paddle or overnight camping trips.
I have done the river 3 times in canoes. Beautiful and scenic and you hardly have to paddle since the river flows about 2 - 4 mph.

links to the Oklawaha Canoe Outpost & River Map
http://www.outpostresort.com/Pictures/RiverMap.jpg

http://www.outpostresort.com/

Post subject: Loading Yaks
PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 9:04 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I use a homemade system similar to urs were a bar slides inside my main bar/Yakima Rack both kayaks sit on there downside-up loading has been very easy and I load onto a Mercedes SUV so it sits a bit higher than ur rig and our boats are a bit heavier also once you get the hang of it you'll find it quite easy I put a small pad on the ground to protect the rudder and the rear of the boat while I lift the front first then the back.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 9:42 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Revo, wow, that is another beautiful place to explore. The possibilities seem to be endless. Feel like a kid in a candy store.

I don't need to extend my straps because they are long enough that I can walk around the car with the ends in hand then flip a loop over the boat. I've got that part down pat.

Funny, as I was cinching one of the straps today I suddenly got a strong mental whiff of musty canvas. It was my dad's ghost. He was standing there with a stopwatch as us kids set up the family tent. Station wagon, air mattresses, Coleman cook stove, my mother gamely donning her fashionable but inadequate sneakers -- all vividly evoked by one pull of the strap.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 9:51 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Fastfish, I tried to think of a way to make my own extender and avoid the $60+ cost of the Outrigger, but in the end I just paid. It has to be strong, and it has to stay put. Good for you for making your own.

I padded the ground with my pilates mat. Knew it would come in useful for something.

Thanks for your reply.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 10:22 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

The best way to load your boat and transport it is upside down. one hint that we use at our hobie dealer ship is to slide the rack bar off center as much as you can stand which will also make the outrigger stick out farther on the side which may help you load it. Grab the boat handle with your hand nearest the car and use the other hand on the keel to flip it over. hope this helps enjoy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 3:22 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Becky,

Sounds like you have your problem sorted - but if you want to read some more solutions take a look at this thread. My mate Pirate, has come up with a very innovative way of carrying the Adventure right side up that is both secure and does not deform the hull whatsoever. I have travelled with him hundreds of kilometres and it is so secure he has found no need for bow and stern tiedowns.
http://www.hobiecat.com/community/viewt ... 4465#64465

Mickey

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 3:54 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I love this forum. Thanks for more great tips. The Pirate Pillows are awesome!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 1:36 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hi Becky,

You probably already know this, but you must be sure to hose your car down thoroughly when you get back from the water (along with your Mirage drive). The salt water dripping off your boat is death to the car's bodywork.