Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 5:09 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Transducer Mounting
PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 8:58 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Have everything done with FF but, mounting transducer, I have seen your short video and it is pretty simple and helpful, but I keep seeing info about using light sand paper to help adhesive stick(pad and marine goop),due to heat and flexing.

Also I see alot of people are mounting the Trans under the seat due to the fact of little flex and more center weight.

Thankx,

Steve

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 9:47 am 
Site Admin

Question is?

Sandpaper? Makes sense, but honestly... not my video. That came from OEX in Oceanside. A dealer. Someone else try sand paper for this?

I understand the MOST important thing is to have ZERO bubbles between the transducer head and the hull.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

Last edited by mmiller on Thu Feb 19, 2009 12:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 12:09 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

yes sandpaper to roughen the smooth plastic surface for better adhesion.
I used both silicone II and Marine Goop on unsanded hull and it pulled up in a short time. I sanded slightly and it still pulled up. You do need to roughen the surface pretty well for a good hold be it silicone, Goop or epoxy.

I personally now have only glued the foam transducer pad down and filled the void with water then placed the transducer into the foam and it works great. Just add water before you head out and put the T'ducer in place.

For a permanent install glue down the transducer but yes be oh so careful not to get air between hull and T'ducer or you WILL be doing it over again.
Air bubbles will keep the T'Ducer from working. Also with Goop leave it alone for 4 to 5 days to let it harden properly it is slowwwwwwwwwww.

I have kept my unit portable and transferable between 2 kayaks & a small boat so I utilize the water non permanent method.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 4:08 pm 
Hobie Team Member

Revo,
I did the same as you with gluing the foam. From there, though, I filled the opening with vaseline and have fished 4 seasons in one rig and a season in a new rig without ever having to re-do the vaseline installation.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 12:19 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hey NH,

I have heard great success stories with the vaseline. Here in S.E. Florida in the summer heat carrying your yak and storing it on its side vaseline tends to make one heck of a mess. It really thins out and gets everywhere otherwise I would use it. For now H2O works just fine.
Now I transport it upright but still it hangs on its side when stored.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 7:49 am 
Hobie Team Member

I hadn't really thought about the high heat. Mine is only on the car for trips and is hanging in the garage when not being used.

I guess it really would make a difference for different areas.