Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 1:19 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Would you buy this?
PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 6:35 am 
Site Rank - Captain

A friend is looking for a used Revolution at a good price. We see one on Craigs List a couple hours' drive away that is missing the mirage drive, seat and paddles. I know the cost of these items but am wondering if a new drive will work with the older cam locks.

I'm leary of this boat, as it has a mysterious past, but friend wants to take a look. Will examine the hull very carefully for cracks though probably won't be able to do more than a visual examination. Any other cautions for us? Thanks in advance.

Post subject: Smells Fishy...
PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 7:04 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Kinda sounds hot doesn't it? No drive no paddle, usually thats the way they come when they are stolen. Why don't you grab the serial number and check it out with Hobie before you buy it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 7:17 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I thought of that, and I would check the number. But it also seemed possible that the hull was replaced and the accessories moved to the new one. Seller says the drive was broken.

I think I heard that if a hull (I keep saying hull, but I mean the bare boat) was replaced under warranty, it would have to be cut up or disfigured in some way.

Just trying to puzzle this out. The listing can be seen under Tampa FL on Craig's List: http://tampa.craigslist.org/pnl/rvs/1049094492.html

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 8:59 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Becky Phillips wrote:
I think I heard that if a hull (I keep saying hull, but I mean the bare boat) was replaced under warranty, it would have to be cut up or disfigured in some way.

We're usually asked to cut the serial number out of the transom.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 9:00 am 
Hobie Tech / Moderator

Quote:

You are absolutely correct. The hulls should be cut up or disfigured when they are replaced. This is not always the case and occasionally a replaced hull is not taken care of. If you can get the serial number off the hull, let me know and I can look it up.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 9:12 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks for your replies, Dog and Bcastile. We may not pursue this, but if we do, I will contact you (Bcastile) or my dealer with the number.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 7:16 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

Yes, a new Drive will work with older camlocks. I'd steer clear of this boat though. It could possibly it can have a hairline crack in the drivewell that doesn't show up on visual inspection -- only under load with the Drive. This could be a real false bargain.

The only way I would consider this is if the seller has a bill of sale from a dealer showing that he purchased the boat stripped (highly unusual) -- and your friend can confirm it with the dealer -- AND the total price of putting it all back together still looks excellent! This is assuming that your friend can recognize all that is missing or non functional (fittings, bungees, rudder operation, etc.) 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 7:27 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Excellent advice, Roadrunner. We're not going to pursue it. Thanks for the info about the camlocks.

It's interesting, this business of looking for a used Hobie. Tomorrow we're going to try out a pre-owned Adventure at our local dealer's. I've been plying my friend with Hobie literature, and he's looking forward to the trial. I'll bring my Sport and we'll switch at some point so I can try the Adventure, too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 7:47 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Be careful Becky!

The Sport is nice, but if you have a little wind (7-12mph) you may never feel the same after sailing the AI. :)

Kayaking Bob

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 7:50 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Ha! We'll see... It's not an AI, Bob, just an A. But it does come with a sail and outriggers. I'm hoping it will have turbofins, too!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 4:09 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Just reporting in to say that Friend and I went to try that "pre-owned" Adventure today. He tried it first, and I accompanied him in my Sport. We tootled around a bit and then switched boats so I could try it, too. It was great to experience the long and the short of it -- Mirage Hobies, that is -- in one outing. They're both great boats for different reasons and purposes, just as I would have expected. What I didn't expect was how much I loved the Adventure. I thought a 16 foot boat would feel huge, but it didn't. It seemed absolutely steady and smooth while the Sport bounced around beside it. I was very impressed.

Friend also liked it very much, but in the end he decided not to take the leap. On the other hand, I'm thinking, "Wonder what kind of an exchange deal I might make? Hmmmmm."

I really, really liked that Adventure.

Think I could carry a 16' kayak on a 15' car? The Sport is just the right size for my Civic. The Adventure would probably look ridiculous up there.

Did you ever have to make up your mind
Pick up on one and leave the other behind
It's not often easy and not often kind
Did you ever have to make up your mind

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 6:29 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Go on Becky - Get an Adventure Island.
You know you want to :twisted: :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 8:41 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Sell your friend your Sport and get The Adventure and you'll both make out.

Kayaking Bob

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 9:34 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Becky,
OR--you can compromise and get a Revo! Have fun!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 12:38 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hi Becky,

Sounds like you really enjoyed the Adventure. It would not look ridiculus on your Civic it would just make others JEALOUS! look she's got an adventure woahhhhh :lol: The length is no problem thats what they make those little red flags for :D

And as Apalach said too you could always get a revolution. I am putting mine and myself to the test tomorrow morning at the Everglades Kayak Fishing 2009 Paddle-In. Take off out of Everglades City paddle 6 miles into the 10,000 Islands to Indian Key with the outgoing tide, picnic then fish and return with the tide fishing for a 12 mile round trip :shock: . I will take pictures and post next week. 170 kayakers showed up last year.

Link for any interested:
http://www.evergladeskayakfishing.com/ekf-events.htm