Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 8:30 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: New Guy with ?s
PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 8:48 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hello All,

We just bought a new Oasis last week and have 3 cruises (24 miles) under our belt. We took most of Roadrunners advice on extra equipment. ST Turbo fins, standard cart, and larger rudder. Seat is no problem yet RR. We are waiting on antiquepedaler (intro a few threads down) to pick up his Outfitter this week, to try the upgrades.

Questions: (I have searched for several hours)

Has anyone added foot pedals or foot loops to the rudder for steering while paddling?

How about a cam to the standard steering tiller bar to keep the strings tight for improved performance and feel?

Is the new hull on the Oasis thinner than previous years? This one feels very flexible and will deform very easily if placed on padded saw horses right side up.

Where do you attach the bungee to hold the seat backs up? No pad eyes in the right place.

More to come.

Owned and raced 4 Hobie 16s in the 70s and 80s. Now live in an RV trying to stay in great Cycling and Kayaking areas and weather.

Rick

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 9:41 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

Hi Rick and welcome to the forum.

I just hook the seat back bungee to anyplace along the cargo well bungee -- quick and easy.

I agree -- it seems that the newer Poly is a little softer. I suspect that if true, this may be to reduce the incidents of drivewell cracks that occasionally occurred in the past. Or, this may have something to do with color selection -- hotter colors would probably have more flex in them. Even with similar colors it could have something to do with color blending -- if you look closely, each color is actually a combination of different colors, which Hobie changes from year to year. This could affect the surface temperature similarly. Too bad they gave up white! :cry:

There have been a couple of members who have experimented with foot operated rudder controls. Perhaps someone else has more info. 8)