It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 7:27 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 1:40 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Many thanks for that info Dick! 8)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 5:12 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hey Ya'll
Revo using the main bar in rotation is a good idea. I dropped the locking hitch pin clip on my sidekick the first time out. :oops:
I went to a trailer parts shop and picked up a couple three of them and they are now in my on board repair kit.
I was thinking, rather than rotate the main mount bar to achieve a nose up attitude of the float, that I could just drill a new hole through the end of the sidekick bar in order to angle the lob float slightly upwards.
Does this sound to you like it would also work as well ?
I think I will go ahead and try this project but using the larger floats in the 6" or 7 " by 14" since we are in a tandem oasis.
That way I can try out the new extra large "Windpaddle" sail for light wind days.
I also would like to see a tandem AI like stringy mentioned if they could keep the ride a lot higher and drier with payload equal to the current Oasis tandem. As long as Im dreaming keep the boat car toppable as well. If I wanted a wet ride I can always get a Hobie SUP :wink:

Kepnutz

Small but fun surf this week

These SUP people are everywhere now.

They get most of the waves.

Looks like fun on the right day and place

Hobie makes one too

I prefer regular surfing myself like this guy does

I went surfing and also tested out my new camera this week. Wish my hobie kayak could ride waves like these :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 8:40 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Ok here is the update using the fixed floatie.

The lowest adjustment sank the floaties too deep and they torpedoed just under the water with the slightlest of a lean even in an angled up fixed position.
I drilled new holes in the "T" at vertical and used the middle setting. The floaties were at the proper height but a good lean submerged them. Apalach, I think it is the width of the revolution being much narrower than an outback that the 5 x 11 buoys just do not have enough bouyancy to keep from submerging.

I tested both the lob buoy and the inflatable side by side pushing them under the surface. The inflatable took much more effort and had much more resistance to being submerged. A side by side comparison of the size and the sidekick inflatable is 30% larger. I feel larger bouys are needed to match the bouyancy of the sidekick inflatable. One cannot rule out the possible quality of the buoys I have but how does one judge that.

The floaties submerged even reaching at 10 mph winds. I did not test furthur out on the lake where winds were 15mph or higher for fear of a turtle trusting the floaties too far. I have yet to submerge an inflatable even hiked over in 20 mph.

Again for standing stability the 5 x 11 lob buoys work fine but I can only speak for the revolution that they are not adequate for sailing and hiking out in heavier wind conditions.

Disappointed
Revo

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 8:24 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hey Rev
Thanks for all your reports the good and the not so good.
What size bouy then would you think might work for this application if any?
Thank You
:( Kepnutz

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 6:44 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hiya Kep,

I could only say trial and error would offer up results and the needed size as I have done witht he 5 x 11 lob buoy.
I would guestimate that a 7 x 16 would of course add more buoyancy but would need to be tested.

assorted sizes of bullet buoys are offered here:

http://www.rainbownetrigging.com/catego ... =scbaswleo

Apalach posted a place to get them but hopefully not only by the case. They have up to a 9 x 16 size. Two 8 x 15 closely match the size of the inflatable sidekick, whether it equals the buoyancy one can only test.

Again I can only report on how the floaties worked for me on the revolution. I am exploring an alternative method.

Revo

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 10:36 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

OK—at the risk of repeating myself, here is the place (Hamilton Marine in Maine) that most folks purchase (including KFS, as I recall) their lobster pot buoys at a very good price. I think I paid about $2.50 each for them about 5 years ago. You will note that for either the case or individual buoys, you will need to call for the price at 1-800-639-2715. Here again is the page from the Hamilton Marine catalog.

Sizes range from 5x11 to 9x16 for the Spongex buoys that most of us have used. They are excellent. You will need four of these. Also as mentioned, KFS sells these in a kit, including the RAM tubes and fittings, for $99.99.

I should note that if any of these buoys are mounted in a fixed position so they don’t rotate, then I doubt if it matters what size you use, including the 5x11s. Just guessing, but I would expect that even the 9x16s would also have the same problems that Revo encountered with the 5x11s if they are mounted on the Sidekick bar, or are otherwise free to rotate or “pinwheel.”

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 2:39 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I agree Apalach .. unless they are in fixed position they will pinwheel no matter the size.
For the revolution 5 x 11 are not buoyant enough to keep from submerging while hiked over. Perhaps larger buoys will be adequate but needs testing out.
I will have to leave that to others to test. For me the foam floats are for standing stability not for sailing and I do not intend to sail over skinny water or oyster bars.
I am exploring another avenue. Till then I will continue to use the inflatable floats I have for sailing and carry the others for fishing. At least the sidekicks fold up and can be stowed in the hull while I use the foam floats at the fishing site and pedaling over skinny water or oyster bars.

Revo