Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:42 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 6:51 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

We have two 2007 Adventures, on which we have broken two sprockets on the Mirage drive after quite a bit of use. In both cases, the failures have taken place with Turbo fins when accelerating to catch a wave, likely because of the added stress.

On page 28 of the 2008-2009 parts catalog, there is a page dedicated to a V2 Mirage drive. It appears the V2 sprockets now have a threaded brass insert for the mast, vs. the old version with a slot and set screw. It looks like it is probably more durable. Here is a link to the catalog
http://www.hobiecat.com/support/pdfs/ka ... _28-37.pdf

My questions are:

1. Has anyone upgraded an "older version" drive sprockets (page 29) with the new sprockets (page 28)? Or do you have knowledge to suggest it shouldn't be done?

2. If so, will the new sprocket work on the "older version" without modification or other extra parts? (other than a screw-in mast)

3. Any ideas on preventing sprockets from breaking? (I am particular about the chain tension - snug, but not too tight)

4. Also, I am thinking of ordering a spare chain. The V2 has a different part number that is less expensive than the "older version" ($36 vs $48). I'd like to save the money, IF it will work.

Your advice will be appreciated.

Thanks,
Randy

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 9:47 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

Randy, the new sprockets are directly interchangeable with your old ones as long as you get the new masts to go with them. Be sure and specify Turbo masts. I presume you were splitting your old sprockets or couldn't keep the masts in (screw backing out)? The new brass insert sprockets address both issues. Just be sure to make sure they're fully seated and locked in with plenty of Locktite Blue (should come with the kit). Here's a How-To on the procedure: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=10710

The chain/cables are specific to drums, not sprockets, so you would stick with your old chain PN. Hobie changed the drums (and cables) in 2008. These new drums are stronger and less subject to flexing and warping than the old drums, so they are less prone to having the crank arm adjustment pin skip out of the holes; the new design also eases stress on the cable swedges; and cable adjustments are much easier.

The sprockets and drums/cables are independent upgrades and should fit any Mirage Drive.

You can save even more money by not ordering the spare cable until you need it. They don't break often -- if one does, your money may be better spent in the newer drum/cable upgrade while using the remaining old parts as spares for your other Drive.8)

Last edited by Roadrunner on Thu Apr 23, 2009 10:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 10:34 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Hello Roadrunner,

I can't thank you enough for the prompt and thorough reply, including the link to the how-to procedure and photographs. Very nice work. What a great forum this is because of you and others so willing to take the time to help others get the most out of their kayaks and time on the water. Thanks Again!!