Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:47 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Which Color is Coolest?
PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 9:48 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

I got my hands on some older sample disks recently and set them out in the sun to see which were the hottest and coolest. Lacking a surface probe, I used the back of my hand to feel the relative temperature. They were laid out on a reasonably insulated (wood) surface. To eliminate any bias, I shuffled them and ranked them blindfolded, moving the coolest to the left and the hottest to the right.

To my surprise, yellow was coolest. So I flipped the disks and repeated the operation -- got the same result. Next I got another set (different thicknesses, same colors) and did it again. The result, from coolest to hottest in both sets?
The second set felt a little different but somehow came out in the same order.

Looking closely, the overall colors are actually a blend of component colors. Dune had brown specks whereas Papaya had white. Maybe that accounted for the temperature difference. Regardless, here's a subjective analysis:

--Papaya and Dune were close and coolest, but the difference was noticeable.

--Hibiscus and Caribbean were also close in temperature and formed a distinctly warmer group.

--Moss was easily the hottest -- no trouble picking it out.

Total range in temperature distinct but not huge -- maybe 15 to 20 degrees F+/-???

Colors change slightly from year to year so there could be some variations. But this gives a good idea of what to expect if hull temperature is a factor in your color selection. 8)

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 5:41 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks, Because Texas gets downright HOT, I did a similar test on car colors when I sold used cars in the 1970s to see how hard an air conitioner had to work.

I'd have guessed dune was cooler than yellow, but like you said the speck color might influence it.

I bought a Papaya Hobie PFD yesterday, so that decided what color ProAngler I'm getting.

(Also got some yellow school bus reflective tape for the sides of the ProAngler and RAM tubes and yellow sew-on reflective tape to add to the pfd, and reflective bungie to replace all bungies and and reflective deck line to add reflective anchor trolleys.)