Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 2:22 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: PRO ANGLER QUERY
PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 10:00 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hey guys,
I saw the Pro Angler for the first time here in Australia yesterday and I love it. The only thing I can't understand is, why didn't Hobie included a recess into the bottom of the kayak to mount a side scanning transducer or similar into it when the molds were made. Instead we still have to goop the transducers into the inside of the kayaks and not be able to take advantage of this new technology. It's the only thing I can see missing on this brilliant little boat.
Cheers Darren

Post subject: Re: PRO ANGLER QUERY
PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 4:16 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Gee. 100 views and no reply :? Is there a way around mounting these transducers on the Pro Angler that I'm not aware of. Any opinons or ideas would help if that's the case :D .
Cheers Darren

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 5:50 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

Hi Darren and welcome to the forum. I have no opinion on such matters since I catch my fish at the market. Hobie has a fishing forum that may may be better suited to field your question. You'll find it here: viewforum.php?f=26

On the other hand, maybe nobody knows the answer. But it's a great boat in any event, even for those of us who don't fish! 8)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 8:07 pm 
Hobie Team Member

Haven't got that far with mine yet.

Had the PA a little over a month and have been enjoying it too much to rig anything else on it. I'll probably put a depth finder on it eventually, so I'll be watching to see what someone says about the mounting of the transducer your talking about.

Quit Wishin, Go Fishin and Take a Kid with You

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 9:54 am 
The side imaging transducer has some special requirements because of its side viewing capabilities. The side imaging transducer must NOT have anything obstructing the ‘view’ of the side looking beams, i.e. nothing can be in the line of sight of these beams (not a hull, motor, or other transducer, etc). In order for the side beams to be displayed accurately, the transducer must be mounted so that it is looking straight down in the water when the boat is in the water. In the case of the Hobie Pro Angler as with any other boat the transducer must be mounted externally.

The transom installation, which is the most widely used, places the transducer on the outside of the boat hull. This technique produces the least signal loss, and provides a way to adjust the transducer after installation. A hardware kit is generally always include with any manufactures model you purchase.

As an alternative to transom mounting and with a “common transducer” (non side imaging), it is possible on many boats as well as on kayaks to glue the transducer on the inside of the boat hull. This has become a common method in kayak angling which reduces damage that might occur do to the unique handling of the kayak/small craft. We do not provide a specific place inside the hull of the boat due to the various sizes and configurations of transducer models on the market.

Vince

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 1:31 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

That's right, you don't want to mount a side scanning/side imaging transducer inside a hull .... On my last kayak, I used "the Liberator" to mount my FF, GPS, battery, a rod holder and the transducer on the transducer arm.

On my new Outback I got two 16x20 cutting boards at Walmart, stacked one on top of the other for thickness, mounted them to the 1-1/2" RAM Ball Electronics mount, put that on the 1-1/2" Ram Ball - to- Hobie- sail-mast- hole-wedge mount thingy, mounted 2 rod holders, FF. compass, GPS, transducer on the transducer arm (from the Liberator) and have room to eat dinner/clean a fish/cut bait/ beside it. Tonight I'm drilling holes in the front of the shelf to hang lures and tools from too.

Then when I get home, all my electronics are on one bracket, I can bring in with me or lock in the trunk if I go somewhere.