Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 4:22 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 2 "New" Mirage drives
PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 12:48 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Matt Miller wrote:
...You noted an "upgraded" drum shaft? The photo shows a rounded end, so not the latest. You do need shaft with splines to keep it from spinning.

I have 2 "New" Mirage drives, both with Turbofins I just bought both from the local dealer this month, and before using them I decided to check the forum for tune-up/maintanaince etc. The REASON I got two drives was so I'd have a spare drive and/or a complete set of spare parts (I'm good at dropping rods and anything else, even when leashed, I'll unleash "just for a second" to move it to another padeye, and plop....in the water, also our lakes are low so normally submerged tree stumps are near the surface now)

The dealer suggested I leash through the front triangular hole. I did that on one, but, when I looked at the other:
1) the triangle part had no hole, (so I inspected closer.)
2) the one with no hole doesn't have brass insert thingies where the masts go in, just plastic and a set screw.
3) the unholy one has rounded-end drum shaft, where the holy one with brass inserts has a tapered ended drum shaft.

I didn't know what other inside parts might be different, so I called the dealer.

The dealer first said he'll upgrade the drum shaft and brass insert thingys, ... after explaining I wanted 2 identical drives and why, he said he'll just swap out the older model for the new one so they both match ... he'll set me up with 2 identical drives so I'll have a spare drive and complete set of spare parts in case I'm unlucky twice in the same day (not unusual for me).
(That's easier for all, instead of me using the older model "new drive" and having each part replaced as it is needed and driving to the dealer more often.)
This post is to compliment Hobie and Hobie dealers on good service.

Thanks.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 9:05 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

We changed the spine mold to accept a leash in that open triangle area so that folks had an easy option to tether the drive onto the boat so you wouldn't lose it over-board.

An older drive without that opening could easily be drilled out to do the same thing.

We have a leash kit out now as well (not in the catalog yet) but its available from any Hobie kayak dealer, just order part number 74052101 (kit includes a leash and hardware to attach the drive to the firewall area) cost is $16.95

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 12:44 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Jbernier wrote:
We changed the spine mold to accept a leash in that open triangle area so that folks had an easy option to tether the drive onto the boat so you wouldn't lose it over-board.

An older drive without that opening could easily be drilled out to do the same thing.

We have a leash kit out now as well (not in the catalog yet) but its available from any Hobie kayak dealer, just order part number 74052101 (kit includes a leash and hardware to attach the drive to the firewall area) cost is $16.95

Thanks, I just got back from the dealer minutes ago, He swapped the older drive so both my new drives are V2 with the hole and both have the new drum shaft and V2 sprockets, so now both match, going to leash one inside the hull and use one, then I'll have a spare drive if I'm on a longer cruise, and exact spare parts if needed ...and got the leashes too .... thanks again :D