Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:00 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: paddling and sidekicks
PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 11:40 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Has anyone here ever tried paddling with the Sidekicks in the intended position behind the seat? I'm guessing they are in the way but just wanted to check.

This is all pre-purchase research as I'm paddling a Quest at the moment but will be upgrading to a Revo or Adventure soon. I was thinking I might try them on the Quest too, or even my wife's Sport which arrives any day now.

Neil

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 3:29 pm 
Site Admin

I find that I lean forward when paddling, so maybe? With a shorter stroke for sure, but it is easy enough to pop them off for paddling if you need to.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 3:59 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Matt is right, just lean ahead or remove them. I use them on a Revo but only for sailing. Just remove them, deflate and put them in the hatch. For myself I don't see why I would want them on if I was paddling unless it was to get to deep enough water to peddle. I sure wouldn't want them on if I was on a river unless it was half a mile wide.

Just MHO
Bruce

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 7:38 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I use the sidekicks mostly for sailing, but if you were to use them at other times, perhaps if you were standing in the yak while fishing, then I can see the need to be able to paddle (or pole) without removing them. I mounted mine all the way back by the rear hatch on my Revo, and that works fine for all of the above. The paddle blades do not hit them in that location.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 10:50 am 
Site Rank - Captain

well I'm considering taking them out with me on my Quest for cold water days, or when the chop builds up, for a little extra security, unitl I take the plunge on a mirage boat.

Thanks for the feedback.

I may mount them further back on the Quest just for a try.

Neil

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 2:30 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hey Yakdreams,

Yes they do get in the way when directly behind the seat on a revolution. It is not impossible to paddle with them on but you have to watch your stroke. If you have a long paddle 210 to 230 cm they will clip the floats unless you keep the stroke tight to the hull. I use them for sailing and when taking my 95# labrador out for a cruise (puppy training wheels :lol: ) She does not stay still enough for me to trust taking her without them especially when she sees a dog on the bank LOOK OUT!
If you upgrade to a revolution pay close attention to where you attach the crossbar brackets and whether or not you can reach it from the inside to use through bolts. I placed mine at the very front of the well and just behind my seat and between the scupper holes and the rod holders I cannot get to the nuts for throughbolts. The best location on the revo is over the well behind the rod holders but then the crossbar voids the use of the well for large items. Not to go into the "loooong" subject on popping wellnuts .. I had the provided wellnuts pull out so I used 1-1/2" long wellnuts and they have been holding just fine.

If you are attentive to the paddle stroke you can avoid the sidekicks and yes if you lean forward it makes it easier to avoid them also.

Revo

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 5:11 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I'm thinking I'll leave enough space for the tight fit of a milk crate then put the crossbar right behind the crate, that will also give me something else to tie the crate on to. In the Quest I have the seat set as far forward as it will go already, since primarily paddling so I'll likely be OK. Thanks for the tip on the Revo, I'm leaning more towards the Revo lately since last weekend I had the pleasure of helping a friend with an Adventure... their is no way that boat is only 5lbs or so more than a Revo/Quest, wow it was much heavier than I expected, was a little bummed about it since that had been the boat I _thought_ I wanted, since I primarily solo the weight could be a tad much... but we'll see, I need a good demo of both boats to see if the weight is worth it.

Neil

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 7:49 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I have my sidekicks and when I am paddling I just push each Inflatable in an upright position.....strokes are a tad bit shorter but has been very effective for me.