Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 4:14 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: OUTBACK SAILING Sweet!
PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 8:00 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I bought the sail kit with my Hobie Outback 6-7 months ago, never really used it till today....All I can say is it was bad a$$, so not only do I have the Ultimate Fishing Machine, but how many people who own different kayaks can say "Instead of Fishing I decided to sail about 7 miles and check out some new areas" very sweet HOBIE! I was able to hand furl it up which was not easy but now I have to have those thrust bearings and Bow knuckle to really enjoy both, fishing and sailing!......Steve

Thought I would add one more thing here, while I was sailing I decided to stand up...no problems....but time to make a leaning post or stand up bar.

A couple of weekends ago I got to demo an AI, very sweet vessel

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 8:45 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

G'Day Steve,
Glad you're enjoying the sailing! :)
A standup bar - now that would be something to see! :wink:
The furling will work with just the knuckle and line without the bearing. It's not as smooth though.
You will probably have to unfurl by hand but quickly rolling it back up by pulling on the line should work OK!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 5:45 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Hey stringy,

Having a problem finding a Knuckle that is not of good quality, I got a hold of one the other day but it is very good quality and hard and 7/8 it is very loose (no way to get a better fit unless I start removing some material), have any suggestions? Thankx........ Steve

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 3:16 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I'm not sure what you mean by not very good quality Steve? The canopy knuckles I have been using are only a couple of dollars and are made of plastic. If they are standard bimini fittings they will be more than adequate!
A correct fit is important. 7/8" fittings should be a tight fit around the mast. All the knuckle is doing is providing somewhere to attach the sail bungee and furling line and it doesn't need to be over engineered! :wink:

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 5:41 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Hey Stringy,

Sorry I did not get back right away, what I meant by quality is the only knuckles I can find right now are very hard and one piece(so no way to tighten, like your knuckle part), So I either have to remove material from the front so it will collapse and make for a tighter fit, the 7/8 knuckle I have right now fits very loose............Steve