Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 3:09 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 5:36 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I just purchased my pro angler the other day. As soon as I did I headed to the lake to give everything a try. First of all WOW! The mirage drive is great!

I have noticed a noise when pressing the right paddle all the way forward about an inch from the furthest point. It's really not a big deal and it does not affect the operation. It sounds like two pieces are hitting each other. The weirdest thing is that I can't replicate the sound. It only happens about once every 10 peddle strokes on average. Sometimes more and sometimes less. Should I worry about this?? Any help would be great.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 10:06 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

Wm, welcome to the forum. There are a couple of possibilities for noise. First hold your Drive upside down, centering the pedals and drums. See that your fins are both pointing straight up within a couple of degrees of each other. If not, you could be smacking the hull with one fin prematurely. This is adjustable and not problematic.

You may be experiencing a snapping in and out of the center cog by one of the chain/cables. This center cog is fatter than the others and holds the chain in place during assembly. It will eventually become less noticeable and is not harmful. You can also see this when you hold the Drive upside down and operate the pedals by hand with full strokes.

There is a third possibility -- The aft clew outhaul or fin leading edge may be striking the edge of the hull adjacent to the back of the drivewell. This happens near the end of your stroke on one side or the other as you describe. This would only be noticeable when pedaling and is accompanied by a very small shift in position of the Drive in the well as it rocks back slightly. This represents a minor drivewell alignment issue and is harmless. You can sometimes remedy this by slipping a small tube section or scrap slice of garden hose over the nose of the Drive where it fits against the well as shown here:

The Drive must still be able to rock fore and aft if you sleeve the Drive nose like this.

Hopefully one of these items is the cause of your noise. In any event I wouldn't worry about it too much if everything is functioning well. Lube, inspect and adjust your Drive periodically as per the manual and FAQ section here and enjoy your new PA! 8)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 2:07 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Wm welcome! 8)

To add to RR post. I had a couple of problems at first with my drive from the start. RR did a complete "with pictures" overview of how to maintain your drive. Mine new the cables were very tight so learning from his post i adjusted them correctly. Second my fins were not adjusted properly. Now adjuster as per RR post i can pedal all day and not feel it.

The third and something not mentioned. I was getting a clicking type noise every now and then. Turns out one of the clue hull snap rings was getting smashed by the drive working. I replaced it and went over the drive and now no problems.