Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 3:17 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Stupid Newbie Questions
PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 5:14 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Hello;

My Wife and I are new Hobie owners (she a Revolution, me an Outback). We picked up the kayaks last weekend and spent about an hour with them. Next weekend we are planning an all-day trip along the sloughs of the Snohomish river near Everett, WA. Prety much glass water all the way but we hope to build up from that.

Any recommendations of basics we should always go out with? We're already planning:

-Those vacuum cleaner compression bags with hoodies and raingear stuffed in the bow if we get caught in weather.
-valuables like wallets and cell phones go in the Hobie wet bag.
-We have FRS radios
-Water Bottles full
-GPS
-Float plan with the family
-I ordered tethers so we can tether everything in the boat. Oddly, my dealer called Hobie and they said they didn't have the new Mirage drive tethers so I plan on using the rod tethers for that.

Any recommendations on stuff we should just "always have" when we head out? We're trying to get organized so we can just have his and hers bags to throw in the back of the car when we head out.

Also, I'm really not clear on the use of the scupper plugs. My understanding of the big plug for the drive is smoother paddling, but is it really useful when a big guy like me (250lb) always has a bit of water in the well?

The two small scupper plugs; what function do they serve? Do I just tie them together with the small bungee that was included?

On my Outback there are two scupper holes forward of the open ones that you mount the wheels with, but they have screw-in caps on the top. Any ideas what they are for?

Are the plugs (both drive and the small ones) something that should be included in "always bring?"

Also, with all the pockets everywhere (seatback, life vest) is there anything people think is invaluable to stuff away? I'm still trying to figure out the functional value to the pockets on the back of the seat.

Thanks for any responses, sorry for the stupid questions;

Len

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 6:01 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Congrats on your new purchases and Welcome!

Any recommendations of basics we should always go out with?

I would buy leashes for each paddle.
I would buy a throw-rope bag for each boat for rescue, and extra rope to tow with, etc.
I would add a bow-line to both boat.

Scupper plugs (including the screw in ones) are mostly for cold water use.

Also (as you mentioned) leash everything, including gear in the center hatch that you will need access to on the water, they will move around). Also, leash anything of value in the pockets, in case you roll.

I use the pocket behind the seat for a toolbox of all tools needed for the boat, in a Lock-Lock plastic box.

For more info:
http://www.kayakfishingstuff.com/community/showthread.php?t=66319
http://www.hobiecat.com/community/viewtopic.php?t=8424&highlight=

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 6:09 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Welcome to the Hobie forum. And there is no dumb question but the answer you get could be.
I'm sure you will enjoy your Hobies as much as the rest of us. I have Revolution and my wife the Sport for 2 years.
The scupper plugs are to keep water from entering the rear deck. However if you have them in it can't drain. I haven't heard of anyone using them on the forum. I've never had mine in.
I only use the plug for the drive well when I paddle on a river not deep enough for the drive unit. The Mirage drive is always below water level so there is always water in the well. The plug does not seal the well as it is also the drain.
There was a post on here last year that if you are going to use the drive plug, you can put shipping tape on the bottom of the hull but leave the back inch or so open. That will pull the water out of the well. This would be used mostly when sailing with out the drive.
The rod tethers work fine for the drive. There have been a few on here that wished they had tethered their drive. You never know. Sometimes you need to pull them if you get into a kelp or seaweed to clean them.
You should put together a small tool kit with pliers, screwdrivers, needle nose vice grips, 3/8 & 7/16 wrench, etc. This will help if you need to service the rudder or Mirage unit. Hobie sells a repair kit for the drive with the extra parts you might damage.
I'm sure others will add to your list but you have a very good start. Make sure you bring extra water just in case. If you flip the water bottle is gone unless you tether it.
When you need a little more excitement get the sail & side Kicks. It's a blast. I have mine on the Revo.

Enjoy, Bruce

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 8:31 am 
Site Rank - Captain

That's great feedback, thanks!