Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:24 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Some questions!
PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 11:20 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I'm new to this forum, live in Arizona, where believe it or not, there is some awesome paddling.

1. The adventure vs the Revolution, anyone try both and have some feedback?

2. I've been reading some threads about cracking seat wells and bulging hulls. Is this a typical problem for the kayaks?

3. Storage. We have always stored our Wilderness Systems tandem kayak on two saw horses upside down. Is this ok? Also, we have to store it in the garage and temps get over 110 here in the summer. Will this affect a Hobie kayak?

4. If not using the megadrive, can you set your feet to the side of the pedals, or do you just leave them in the pedals?

5. Is it easy to pull the megadrive out while in the boat if venturing into very shallow water?

6. How durable are the hulls? This is a plastic kayak state, as the beaches we pull up onto are gravely rock. We never drag our kayak more than a couple of feet just to get her on the beach a bit.

Thanks for your help!

Lisa

Post subject: Re: Some questions!
PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 12:57 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Welcome to the forum itself. I hope I can answer some of your questions. I have a Revolution.

The Adventure is 2-1/2' longer than the Revo and a bit faster. They are both rated at 350#.
First thing I amuse is you will purchase a 2009 or 2010. There was a change in the design from the 07 & 08's for the drive well that solved the problem of cracking. I have an 07 & 09 and it did fix the problem.

The temperatures out of the sun shouldn't be a problem. I store mine in the attic above the garage & have had no problems in 3 years.

There is room for your feet along side the mirage unit. If you purchase a 09, to pull the drive you release it by pushing 2 levers, one on each side and pull straight up. To put it back in drops straight in & locks itself in place. It can be stored in the front hatch. You want to tether it. There are posts on here where they wished they had. Now they have a new mirage drive at $500. You don't want objects hitting the drive unit.

The hulls are tough. They get scratched up but doesn't hurt the hull. The thing you don't want is something sharp to jab it or direct heat. I use mine on rivers and they take a beating & hold up well.

They can bulge at times. Leave it in the sun to warm it up & push it back in. Mine has done that a little but I didn't do anything about it.

Hope that helps. I'm sure other will add to the post or share their their view as it may differ from mine.

Bruce

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 1:43 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks Bruce. Interesting about the bulging problem, as my Wilderness Systems has never had this problem. I wonder if they go thinner on the material?

Sounds like the Revolution, even though it is shorter, is faster than the adventure. I would not have expected that! We like to kayak, bird watch, and often we will paddle literally for five hours! We just love being in the water. The sail will be a huge advantage as when we are paddling back, it is ALWAYS in the direction of a good headwind.

So the warantee is for two years, what checks does one have to do before it is up?

Thanks!

Lisa :)

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 3:49 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Welcome Lisa,
You've misunderstood what Bruce posted. The Adventure is faster.
Hobie's warranty is second to none and many users have posted of the great service and replacement even outside of the warranty period if it is a defect.
Rather than rehash what has already been posted, a search of the forums will yield lots of info and should answer your questions. Typing revo and adventure in gets lots of hits. :)
Try this for starters:
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=10485

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 4:21 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Thanks stringy, for clearing that up.

Lisa, here is a link that I posted that concurs with stringy's warranty statement.

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=13318

Bruce

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 4:46 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I had already read the AWESOME threads on customer service! That's why I want to buy a Hobie as I know they will back the product up! But no one really answered my question about how thick the material is on their kayaks, but that's ok...

Lisa

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 4:53 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I just asked the same question myself and just purchased a Adventure. I tried both extensively and I can tell you why I made my purchase. Price was not a consideration. I am sure I would have been happy with either kayak. I considered the weight they are about the same. I considered what I was going to transport it on. As stated the Adv is a little longer and I had concerns about transporting and storage. At 5'9 both kayaks were confortable. If your over 6 feet the Adv may be better. If you are under 5'7 the Rev may be better. If you are going to carry a load, camping, passenger, or overnighting the Adv has a lots of room. You seem sit a little lower in the Adv but the Rev seems to be a little more stable. The Adv was easier to reboard in deep water than the Rev for me. I found the Rev was easier to paddle and handle paddling. I found the Adv was easier to handle with the larger drive fins and rudder installed.

A complete novice view of the world.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 5:27 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Lisa,
The thickness is about 3/16"-1/4" is a guess. I have drilled holes to mount extras and it sure seems thick enough to me.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 5:51 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Ranger, some GREAT information about both boats, as I am 5'6", but feel I could handle either boat. My friend who will also purchase, I think will be better in the Revo, as it is more stable.

As I am used to a Wilderness Systems tandem and I noticed the width of these kayaks are much wider, will I notice a big difference with my paddle stroke, as I am also perhaps sitting a bit higher than my tandem?

Thanks!

Lisa

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 4:52 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Here is a hatch cutout from my Oasis. It measures 4mm thick. Our tandem is an 06 and has heaps of scratches, gouges and scrapes from among other things oyster beds but none that come anywhere near penetrating the hull! Plastic is a very tough material. 8)
The Adventure is the best paddler followed by the Revo.You are sitting lower in the Adventure with your backside at or slightly below water level. If you leave the seatplugs undone you get wet as soon as you sit down! :( (or at least I do weighing about 82kg)