Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 2:48 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 6:51 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Holy smokes, the list of accessories is overwhelming! I love the umbrella like shade covering that can be installed, especially on those 115 degree days here!

Any way, more seriously, I noticed the fin upgrades. Please tell me Hobie doesn't cut corners and put an ok fin on their kayaks that makes upgrading necessary? Have you folks found it necessary on the Revo and the Adventure to upgrade the fin right off the bat?

Just wanting to know how my wallet will be hit in the end. I would rather get it all ordered at once and be done with it!!

Lisa

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 7:26 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I have no experience with the revo or adventure but I took the turbo fins out of my PA and tried them in a OB and it makes a big difference in speed and how fast you can take off.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 9:34 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

There are a few things that I would recommend before you get that bimini:

First on my list is the Sailing rudder, about $23. Best value and excellent handling enhancement. This is a "must have" for the Adventure (in all cases) and any kayak you may want to sail. A nice improvement for any of the boats though, regardless. It really increases the rudder's authority, especially at slow speeds and requires much less rudder correction to hold course.

The Hobie standard fins are the most durable of all and work fine. If you want to improve performance, either the ST or ST Turbo Fins are more efficient and will enhance performance significantly at the higher speeds and when accelerating. Turbos are the most popular but not for everyone. ST's are easier to push, easier to install and more economical. Personally I love to go fast and prefer the Turbos. My wife likes the STs. Maybe you can demo them first. The local dealer here keeps a demonstration set of each.

A cart makes getting your boat in the water sooo much easier. I prefer the standard cart -- trouble free, rugged, less expensive than the Trax cart and suitable for all terrain except soft sand. In that case the Trax is nice. Some handy forum members have made a cart out of PVC and wheels from Harbor Freight or the local hardware store. I use the Hobie cart and love it. I load all equipment on the boat, make one trip to the water roll the boat right in and then remove the wheels (they float). The reverse happens coming out. This is a great labor and time saver.

A forth item I find indispensable is the i-comfort seat pad. Not everybody needs it, but this makes a huge difference in comfort for me and I'm completely spoiled by it. I use it 100% of the time no matter what kayak I'm in.

Although there is nothing wrong or deficient with the standard Hobie equipment, IMO these upgrades make a significant improvement in each of their areas -- handling, performance, transportation and comfort -- and therefore in your kayaking experience. Beyond those four items, it really depends on what activities you may wish to pursue and/or your personal tastes. Have fun shopping! 8)

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 4:18 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Lisa,
What Roadrunner said! :)
Regarding the fins, we used the standard fins for a few months which allowed our leg muscles to get used to the pedaling action. When you first pedal you may find it a bit different but your legs will soon adapt. Upgrading will improve performance and I wouldn't go back to the standard fins now. I prefer the Turbo's and my wife the ST's.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 5:44 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Roadrunner,

All great suggestions! And luckily, I am a cyclist so hopefully the pedaling action won't be too different.

The upgrades seem reasonable to do, as not everyone wants to sail and thus will not need the bigger rudder. I LOVE going fast so the Turbo will be a must. I'm wondering if I will need the bigger rudder as here in Arizona, I will only be on lakes, and yes, it can get breezy. Any thoughts?

Can someone point me to the price list of the accesories on this website? I can't seem to find one!

Thanks all!

Lisa

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 10:14 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

if you are a cyclist you won't have any problems with the turbo fins IMO. I am not in the best of shape and I am an old fart to boot..........at 8200' elevation in a PA with turbo fins I did not tire at all. I think the Hobies are easier to pedal than a bicycle.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 10:27 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Lisa,

If you want the Revo to respond while going FAST, you will enjoy the rudder upgrade. I put my standard back on my Revo and thought I had forgot to put the ruder down. Like Roadrunner said, its the best upgrade even if you don't sail (but you will at sometime).

I have all three fins. I use the ST Turbo. I put the ST in one day and it felt like I was peddling a bike with the rear tire off the ground. No resistance.

Hobie has their catalog on-line but I don't think it has prices. You should be able to order a catalog as they send me one and the prices are in it.

I think the reason Hobie doesn't put the upgrades on at the factory is the price. Some already think they are too pricey. I some don't want them. However for the rest of us was want it all, don't care about cost. Remember , its only money, but a decked out Hobie, priceless!

Bruce

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 10:47 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I think all of RR's suggestions are spot-on. First upgrade in my opinion is the rudder, sailing or not, a must have. Should be standard equipment, or else at least an option before purchase. Rather than spending $24 for an upgrade to the these, if they were given as an initial option, then they would not cost as much, since the standard rudder is not needed. But, I'm sure there's a reason for that($).

The cart, if going any distance at all, is well worth it, especially if launching alone.

Fins next. Ditto on optional upgrade at purchase.

Seat? It's a personal thing. For my wife with a skinner butt than mine, yep. Doesn't seem to bother me so much, but most of my trips are 3-4 hours at most. Though hitting a sandbar and stretching helps..............................ck

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 11:44 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Is that i comfort seat a Hobie product?

Thanks for all of the great feedback! Very very helpful!

Lisa :)

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 12:30 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

the i comfort seat is a Hobie product and it is on page 21 of their online catalog

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 6:44 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

itself wrote:
I LOVE going fast

Lisa, if you're passionate about speed, you'll have to check out the Adventure. Not only is it the fastest Hobie kayak, but it is one of the fastest SOTs made (including tandems), barring the much longer and narrower surf skis. It thrives in wind and chop, rides like a Cadillac, has excellent stability and cruises very quietly. In fact, its speed is deceptive -- you don't really feel it unless you're passing something close by.

We all have different priorities but if you like to go fast, you have to consider the Adventure. IMO, it's in a class by itself! 8)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 4:04 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I added the Turbo Fins to my Revo last week and boy am I glad I did. Not only does it provide more speed faster it also makes long distance trips much more enjoyable. I like the added resistance from a workout perspective but more importantly they may have saved me this weekend. I had not one but 2 different incidents of speed boats bearing down on me with the operators more interested in the water skiers behind their boat than what was coming up in front of them. I was better able to avoid a collision with my turbos than I would have been. I also plan to add the orange safety flag but I'm waiting on the mount to arrive at my dealer. IMO consider safety first then build your boat from there. I also really like the Trax cart. :D

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 9:09 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi Lisa, I have a revo with most if not all of the extra"s talked about here. I live in east mesa if you would like to see or talk about our boats and equipment. Ron 480-380-9784