Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 6:00 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 10:22 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Looking for feedback, pros and cons on the 2015 Sport and/or Revo 11.

Thanks

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 3:52 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I'm also interested in hearing what people have to say, Do I sell my 2013 rev 11 to buy a 2015 or get a sport or wait for a 2016 rev 11 and hope they make it transducer ready. Interested in the speed difference between the two with turbo fins. Looking forward to actually sitting in both when they arrive at my dealer.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 7:22 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Voyager wrote:
I'm also interested in hearing what people have to say, Do I sell my 2013 rev 11 to buy a 2015 or get a sport or wait for a 2016 rev 11 and hope they make it transducer ready. Interested in the speed difference between the two with turbo fins. Looking forward to actually sitting in both when they arrive at my dealer.

100% same sentiment here.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 10:16 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Voyager wrote:

I have the same questions/concerns here with the exception of the speed. At age 76, soon, that is not important to me. The ease of loading and unloading the yak to/in my truck bed and getting it into the water and back out to my truck bed is important.

Then, the ride and the two stability comparisons are important.

We have a Jon boat with the transponders mounted by the rear motor. On our fishing trips we mount the fish finder/gps to the its holder by the seat or rail at the aft end by the motor. There is no danger/problem of getting tangled or caught in the wires. Screwing around with exposed wirings in a Kayak and where to hang/put a transponder so far have made using a fish finder in/on my yaks a no go.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 9:32 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I'm interested in the 2015 Revo 13. There were quite a few "reviews" on the 2015 Outback from the get go, but it's been months after the 2015 rollout and there's almost nothing for the Revos and other models. Hobie needs to encourage some good, detailed, and unbias reviews from 2015 owners …or at least expand on what they cover on their website, which is just the "basics" at the moment.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 2:58 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I think Hobie gives you the basics on the website and would like to see you head to your local dealer and let him handle any questions you may have about their kayaks. The only "unbiased" reviews you are going to get are from people who have actually purchased the kayak and posted reviews somewhere, but like any review, what is good for one person might be different for somebody else. There are kayak companies that give kayaks to websites that "promote" kayak fishing and pay reviewers to produce "reviews" that is not really useful information to a potential kayak buyer. I don't think Hobie does this so you don't get manufactured reviews on release of their kayaks. I don't work for Hobie, I'm speculating from my experience in the watersports industry and what I see on the internet. If you are going to be among the first to have one of the new model kayaks, you're probably going to have to check out a kayak at the dealer and use your experience to decide if it's right for you or not. With the price of kayaks these days, it would be tough to buy a new one without a test drive, no matter what the reviews are like.

Also, it's November. For a lot of people that's kind of winter time and maybe not prime kayak buying season. Why buy a new kayak and put it in the garage for a few months? I would think you would see more reviews as the 2015 fishing season gets closer in the spring.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 3:16 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

As you suggest, I always had planned to put off the actual purchase till spring (I'm in Omaha) But I am anxious, all the same, to find out as much about the new Revo 13 that I can. I figure dealers and paddlers in warmer climes already have their hands on one.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2014 9:48 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

ronbo613 wrote:

Also, it's November. For a lot of people that's kind of winter time and maybe not prime kayak buying season. Why buy a new kayak and put it in the garage for a few months? I would think you would see more reviews as the 2015 fishing season gets closer in the spring.

Even in sunny Wino California, it was in the low 40's at dawn, and it "ain't much warmer at 9:45 am.

So time to sit back and wait for the reviews from those who buy the new Hobies.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2014 5:17 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Quote:
So time to sit back and wait for the reviews from those who buy the new Hobies.

Winter is just about here, gotta have something to do.

Quote:
Even in sunny Wino California, it was in the low 40's at dawn, and it "ain't much warmer at 9:45 am.

40° and rain is what we'll be having every day until June. Unless it snows, that is.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 9:10 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I don't expect much of a difference in performance except for seating comfort and maybe a slight edge in efficiency from fatigue over long periods of pedaling due to the new bb mirage drives. However, I alo see potential corrosion problems with ball bearings on the drives over time, even if they are sealed and rated for sw use.

I hope I am wrong.

I think Hobie did a disservice to their existing customers by altering the hulls to allow for the new seating to be used. I think they should have engineered their new seats to confom to existing hulls, but that's just my opinion.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 2:59 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

staktup.....from what I have read about the new Mirage drive, they have "plastic needle bearings", so rust is a non-issue.

Re the new seats in the Mirage kayak line.....agree it would have been nice if they were "backwards compatible", but the new seat requires a flat surface to support it.
Same is true for the original PA-14's 2010 - 2012....the new seat does not fit the earlier models.

Not all Hobie Mirage owners are unhappy with the original seat, but Hobie does listen to their customers and implements improvements based on feedback/suggestions.
Regardless of the pedal model, Hobie still has the best propulsion system/Mirage Drive in the field.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 9:15 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

I have tried the '15 Revo 11 but not the Sport. Basic boat characteristics have not changed in terms of speed, weight, etc and have been previously reviewed on the forum.
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=49343&hilit
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=37621&hilit

For 2015 the new seats have been custom fitted for each boat so there are some obvious individual variations that should be checked out by demos. For example, scupper plugs have been modified on some boats, there are seat height limits on some boats Of course there are universal qualities with the seats.

New for the Revo 11: The seat is fully adjustable in all respects except rear height is limited to low and mid height due to stability limitations on that particular boat. Port paddle rest is gone because the rudder control has been redesigned to accommodate the new seat front adjustment feature, so the starboard rest must be used.

The 2015 Revo 11 does have the new new scupper drain. It works great, can be locked open or opened briefly for clearing the seating area. It is easy to operate but the boat must be traveling about 4 MPH to establish enough venturi to suck the seat well. Actually I could get it to work starting at about 3.5 MPH, it worked very well for me at 3.7 MPH, making short work of any cockpit water. As soon as the water is gone, just let the drain close and you can slow down -- mine had no issue with leaks through the ball seal.

I view the new seat as something fishermen and those with allergies to wet butts will especially love. It is more comfortable to sit in than the previous model, has a mesh fabric that breathes -- no more sweaty backs! There are 6 adjustments on the front and 3 on the back (2 on the Revo 11) for a host of height and angle possibilities. If anyone still lacks comfort after that, the i-comfort seat pad can still be employed by placing it on the seat bottom. For me the low back position works just great but I do like to be able to custom tilt the front. Of course there is an independently adjustable back tilt and lumbar support. The mid back can be adjusted as well by carefully easing the Phillips Head barrel nut retainers (Hobie does not advertise this). Caution must be used not to over loosen and use Locktite blue if any adjustments are made so the nuts don't eventually back out.

Secondary boat stability is still excellent in the low back (default) seat position and quite good in the middle. Turns with the seat up must be approached with some caution as slamming the rudder hard over will tilt the boat out. Moderate turns are no problem.

Sailing the Revo 11 with the new seat does limit "hiking out" -- so I would recommend using the Sidekick specifically in this model for most folks.

The seat is easily removed and inserted once the installation technique is mastered. The only trick is getting it to engage the front seat lock. Simply set the seat in position, pivot the back up and then down. Try lifting the front to verify that it is locked in and (very important) snap the rear lanyard onto the eyelet. This prevents the seat from unlatching in case if capsize (hint -- it doesn't float and would be costly to lose!).

The seats have retractable legs and can be set up as a camp chair or shore fishing chair anywhere. This is very cool and comfortable. The legs are strong enough to rock back on.

New Mirage Drive. The new "GT" Drive is very similar to the old Drive except that all three shafts (sprocket, drum and idler) now have Delrin roller bearings. These take a lot of friction out of the Drive under load and greatly reduce fatigue over time. Durability and wear are excellent on these IMO. Serviceability is a little more difficult (must insert the bearings on assembly); on the other hand, less servicing is required. For those who are interested, Delrin is like Nylon, but lower friction. These changes are backward compatible if anyone wants to upgrade an older Drive, but the gray parts (sprockets, drums and idler pulley) must be used (hole sizes enlarged to accommodate the bearings) Otherwise no difference in spine, cables, etc.

New paddle. Although not a big deal for most, Hobie's 2015 paddle has much better blades then the former (since 2007) and is a welcome improvement for anyone who actually has or wants to use it! With less blade dihedral the paddle no longer has a tendency to stick on exit, and (IMO) is a little quieter entering the water. I like it a lot more! As far as I know, its fiberglass handle is unchanged and weight is about the same (my postal scale shows 1 oz less).

Back to the boats for a moment, The Revo 11 and Sport both have a specific advantage with their compact size. they are significantly lighter than all but the inflatables and are both no-brainers for truck bed or van transport. I'm in Phoenix at the moment and brought my Revo 11 out in the trunk of my Ford Fusion with no problems. Although it did stick out a bit, I just flagged it. I can post pics when I get back to CA.

Basic differences in boats recap -- The Sport is height (specifically leg length) limited. I don't recommend it for anyone over 5' 10" height Note the Revo 11 gains about one usable inch with the new seat and the Sport may also have this as well, but one would have to check this out. It has better primary stability and is more pleasant to sail. Some really like the trays on the gunwales and the higher freeboard for a drier ride. Recommended weight capacity ifisted at 225# but IMO the current model can carry every bit as much as the Revo 11 (significantly larger capacity than the older version)

The Revo 11 is only 4 # heavier but almost 2' longer, faster (will get you there sooner), more sea worthy and handles headwind and chop much better. It should accommodate anyone up to at least 6' 1" (one inch longer than the 2014 model). Its cockpit is at least 2" longer than the Sport. It is a much better performer IMO except in sailing where it feels more tender.

They are both very maneuverable, relatively easy to handle and fun to use. They are both really great in tight spots. Each has clear and distinct advantage. Depending one's priorities and intended use, the choice between them should be pretty easy. 8)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 9:35 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Quote:
New Mirage Drive[/u]. The new "GT" Drive is very similar to the old Drive except that all three shafts (sprocket, drum and idler) now have Delrin roller bearings. These take a lot of friction out of the Drive under load and greatly reduce fatigue over time. Durability and wear are excellent on these IMO. Serviceability is a little more difficult (must insert the bearings on assembly); on the other hand, less servicing is required. For those who are interested, Delrin is like Nylon, but lower friction. These changes are backward compatible if anyone wants to upgrade an older Drive, but the gray parts (sprockets, drums and idler pulley) must be used (hole sizes enlarged to accommodate the bearings) Otherwise no difference in spine, cables, etc.

The guy at the dealer said no grease was necessary, but he also didn't know that TIs get the longer rudder pins. I also noticed what looked to be blue grease around the inside of the drums at the shaft. I've always used marine grease on my current drives, but dont want to attract grit in the bearings if intended to be left dry, nor would I want to run dry as that would shorten the life of all the moving parts. My question in all this is, what, if any, lubricant is found or can be used with the new Derlin bearings?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 10:53 am 
Hobie Approved Guru

Drewyaker wrote:
My question in all this is, what, if any, lubricant is found or can be used with the new Derlin bearings?
I believe Hobie is currently greasing them with marine axle grease. Apparently they originally were not going to grease but found that they had a tendency to squeak over time. The potential for grit and grease is no different than with the older Drives-- rarely an issue. I understand Hobie has tested these extensively both with and without grease with no accelerated wear problems either way. Delrin is pretty tough stuff (is also low friction). 8)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 4:22 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Excellent writeup as usual Roadrunner.
The sailing manners are something I was curious about. I think your experience with hiking out in the new seat may also set the tone for the 2015 Revo13. I will have to keep my spring creek stabilizers after all.