Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:54 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 4:19 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I am having difficulty with rudder being too tight to turn. The problem appears to be with the layout of the rudder cable under the seat; with no weight on the seat the rudder is easily turned; but with me sitting on the seat the rudder is difficult to turn.

I have tried two different layouts for the rudder cable; with no change observed. I have the rudder handle on the Port side of the PA.

Has anyone else had this difficulty? Maybe I should lose some weight?

Thanks

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 8:26 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I read a post somewhere that someone had run the cable down under the middle of the seat instead of outside the seat and mounting the rudder control so that it faces the side of the yak instead of pointing forward that this made a noticable improvement on how much effort it takes to turn the rudder. you also know about the knob on the rudder control? tighter makes the rudder harder to turn and looser takes less effort?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 6:17 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I just checked the routing of mine, and found it was around the left side of the seat. I removed the seat and routed down the middle, still with the mount towards the bow, not the side, and it seems to work the same. I did adjust the tension (the knob on the underside of the rudder control) to make it work a little easier. However; when I get back in the water, I may tighten it again because I think it might be easier to control the boat...not having to adjust often as it was the last time I was in the lake.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 1:46 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Look on the first page of the fishing section called "PA rudder control routing"

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 7:51 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thank ya'll for your responses. Good information; I will reroute the control cable using this information.

Very helpful forum!

Thanks