All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Gulf Coast Events
PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 8:49 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Fairhope Boat Demo Day at Earth Day
Date: Sunday, April 17, 2005
Time: 10:00 AM - 5:00 PM
Place: Fairhope Municipal Pier, Fairhope Ave on Mobile Bay, Alabama
Comments: Come and check out and test ride many different types of kayaks and canoes. Email me if you are interested in joining a Hobie Mirage group pedal, relaxed pace, 2-3 hours.

Post subject: Boat Demo
PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 8:35 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The Boat Demo day went pretty well all things considered. I led a sunset pedal and was disappointed that no Pedal kayaks joined. Am I the only one on the Gulf Coast that likes to pedal the Outback?

Post subject: Blessing of the Fleet
PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 9:02 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Blessing of the Fleet
Date: Sunday, May 1, 2005
Start: 9:00 AM, Finish: 1:00 PM
Place: Public Boat Ramp, Bayou La Batre, AL
Where? For those of you not sure where the public boat ramp is, meet in the parking lot just south of Hardees in Theodore. That is at the NW corner of the intersection of Hwy 90 @ Island Rd/Hamilton Blvd. Be there before 8:15 AM and I'll lead you 15 miles south to the launch site.
Distance: 8-10 Miles at a leisurely 2-3 mph pace.
Comments: If you like seeing shrimp boats, you'll enjoy this trip. There will be more boat traffic than normal, but most operate at idle speeds in Bayou La Batre. I'm trying to time this trip to avoid traffic shut down because there is a land parade at 3:00 PM and a boat parade after that. If you are interested in both kayaking and attending the Festival, check out this link for more Blessing of the Fleet info: http://www.fleetblessing.org/fb.html
Email me for more info on this event.

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2005 8:17 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Due to some strong morning winds, kayak turnout was light to this South Alabama event. Sad to say, but I was the only pedal boater present, but through a friend, I did learn of another local Outback owner and we are going to get out and do a trip together.

Maybe someone in Tallahassee will host an event? Anyone else along the Gulf Coast interested in hosting or joining a pedal boat trip?

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2005 7:07 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Fourth Annual Dog Paddle (CANCELED DUE TO TROPICAL STORM ARLENE)
Date: June 11, 2005

Mirage Owners - If you are anywhere near Mobile, Alabama, come out and race your pedal boat. I do not want to be the only Hobie Pedal Boat in this race. It is a small kayak/canoe race now going on its fourth year. Proceeds from the event go to CRCR, a non-profit association dedicated to improving water quality in Dog River and its tributaries, a worthy cause.

Racing events go on from 8:30 am till noon, when the local celebrities race. Participants and winners get dog bones. Hey, come on out and lets show kayakers that not all pedal boats are slow. Plus it will be good exposure for pedal boats.

Visit the below web site for more information and to see photos from last year's event: http://dogriver.southalabama.edu/

Last edited by Rnykster on Fri Jun 10, 2005 5:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2005 8:24 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Do us proud Rnyk! Show those paddle pukes what Hobie technology is all about. Wish I could join ya!! :D

Post subject: Racing
PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2005 6:51 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Noalias wrote:
Show those paddle pukes what Hobie technology is all about. Wish I could join ya!! :D
Have never raced the Outback yet. Figure to give most of them kayakers a run for their money - all except for the 19 foot long 21 inch wide racing kayakers who train every day. No way to keep up with them due to the difference in the lengths of the hulls. My goal is to average 4.5 mph for the 1 and 2 mile races, beating most of the recreational 16' long kayakers so as to make Hobieville proud. :wink:

Every human powered boat has a max speed. If the Outback's 12 foot long boat was turned into an 18' long boat, I could squeeze about another 1.2 mph out of it and give those racing kayakers a run for their money. See the below link to calculate just how fast your kayak might go.
http://www.recumbents.com/WISIL/hpb/hpbcalculator.asp

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2005 2:52 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Rnykster,
What about larger flippers on the drive as well as length?

What was the result of the race?

Post subject: Race Results
PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2005 9:24 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

dueitt2s wrote:
Rnykster, What about larger flippers on the drive as well as length?
Dunno. Larger flippers might create more boat bounce. You'll have to talk to the design engineer about the pros and cons of larger flippers. I'd rather have a longer hull before bigger flippers.
Quote:
What was the result of the race?
The Dog Paddle races are scheduled for June 11th

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 5:51 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The Fourth Annual Dog Paddle Races have been rescheduled for June 25, 2005 due to tropical storm Arlene.

Visit the below web site for more information and to see photos from last year's event: http://dogriver.southalabama.edu/

Post subject: Dog Paddle Results
PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2005 9:25 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

re: June 25th, 2005 Dog Paddle Race results.

The good and the bad. The bad news is, turnout was light. Participation varied from a racing surfski to racing sit-on-top kayaks to a myriad of racing and recreational type kayaks. Unfortunately, the kayaking divisions were not friendly to recreational kayakers. This sole Hobie Outback pedal kayak participant failed to place. I hang my head in shame (just kidding).

The good news is, there were two other Pedal boats in the 2 mile race other than myself. The bad news is, they were demo Outbacks and the individuals testing out the Outbacks withdrew from the race after only the first of four laps. "Good Lord, this is like work..." Duh! With 60 percent of Americans overweight, there needs to be some work going on!

The good news is, most of the recreational kayakers were behind me, including tandem kayakers in kayaks much longer than the Outback hollering for me to slow down. Unofficially, I finished 4th in the 1 mile race (beating a long 18' narrow racing sit-on-top kayaker), and 5th in the 2 mile race. Did the best I could and averaged almost 5 mph - pedaling and paddling.

If only there was a longer, narrower version of the Outback (minus sailing mast) on the market...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 7:46 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Quote:
This sole Hobie Outback pedal kayak participant failed to place. I hang my head in shame (just kidding).

Don't feel too badly. Racing kayaks are built for speed and would not be much use other than racing(the same way a paddleboard would tromp a "regular" surfboard in a paddle battle, but would flounder in the waves while a surfboard would shred). The important part is that you entered the race and finished. A racing sled winning is no big deal, what if you would have won, or at least beat a few of the pure racers?
A longer boat would surely help for speed, I wonder if the drag on the Mirage fins may be a limiting factor at some point.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 11:36 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

WTG Rnykster,
I know I'm impressed!. Your finishes are still pretty awesome considering you were racing some (presumably) jock-powered machines that were well over 12 feet. And ~5 mph ain't nuthin' to sneeze at in any event. Sounded like a lot of fun was had by all.

Post subject: Events
PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 8:19 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Apalach wrote:
...And ~5 mph ain't nuthin' to sneeze at in any event. Sounded like a lot of fun was had by all.
The results were recently posted. They have me down for 10:42 in the mile - 5.6 mph. The two mile race was held later in the heat so I was a bit slower. I wasn't really racing against the speedsters - just wanted to see what the Outback was capable of and had hoped some other Outback owners would join the race.

http://www.usouthal.edu/geography/fearn/DP05Web2/DogPadPix05.html

You didn't tell me there was recently a kayak race over in Tallahassee on the Wakulla - I would have come over.

Last edited by Rnykster on Tue Aug 02, 2005 8:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 8:28 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

No one told me either--that is the first I have heard about it! But a certain disgruntled visitor by the name of Dennis has kept us pretty much out of the loop for the past month or so.