Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 2:02 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Hobie Kona Kayak
PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 5:14 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi from australia

My wife & i are looking at buying a tandem to do some general (rivers & beach) kayaking (beginners) & are interested in a Kona

We are looking at the shortest lightest tandem available as we travel around australia (working unfortunatly) full time & storage space is a issue

I weigh around 100 kg and am 6 feet tall & my wife is 70 kg & 5 ft 10 (this hull is rated at 200kg)

Wondering if any forum members with Kona's can give me their thoughts on this kayak & if we would be a comfortable fit in the hull

Any other general thoughts on the Kona (build quality,design etc) would be appreciated

Regards Don

Post subject: Re: Hobie Kona Kayak
PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 3:39 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Just to explain why i seem to be asking obvious questions

We haven't actually seen a Kona yet,we have only looked at the specs on the net as the nearest dealer is a couple of hours drive away (will look at one on the weekend)

Regards Don

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 9:11 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

Hi Don and welcome to the forum. There isn't much posted here on the paddling series, as most users have the Mirage Drive kayaks. You might try the search feature and type in the word "Kona" to see what comes up. Also note, the pedaling version of the Kona is the more familiar Outfitter. By doing a search on that you will find more info, much of which would apply.

Regarding the Kona / Outfitter, I don't think there will be any weight or height issues. It is the shortest tandem Hobie makes and, based on your priorities would best fit the bill. The boat has great stability. The Odyssey / Oasis probably paddles a little easier because of its rounded gunwales but is quite a bit longer. The wife and I have an Oasis and enjoy it thoroughly.

When you go to the dealer, see if you can get a demonstration on the water. While you're there, check out the Odyssey for comparison. You might even give the Mirage Drive series a look as well.

Happy hunting! 8)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 8:12 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi Don

We recently bought a Kona, also in Australia. Great tandem for both my wife and I plus a seven year old in the middle.

I am 6'5" 105kg and have no problems fitting in / on.

If you have any questions or need any more info let me know.