Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 11:39 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Mirage Drive Question
PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 1:58 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I recently purchased two used Mirage Classic yaks. Love the boats.

However, I am having trouble with one of the Mirage Drives.

Specifically, the Drum Shaft keeps sliding during use. As it slides (to the left) the right side of the shaft slips out of the cam lock - rendering the drive inoperable. I can tap the drum shaft back so that the "ears" are equi-distant, but the problem occurs again over time with use. I am unable to determine how to fix (hold) the drum shaft in place once it is correctly positioned (set screw? or some other method?)

Is the solution as easy as replacing the drum shaft by simply tapping a new one in place of the old (letting the old one drop out)?

Thanks in advance for your help!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 4:39 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

Yakker, welcome to the forum. It appears that your old shaft / spine interface is worn. If there are no cracks in the spine, you can get a new shaft. They all come splined now so that should end the shaft drift. Here's what it looks like.
And yes, you should be able to pound it right through without taking anything off.

If not, you'll need a new spine. They're not expensive but require a complete dismantling of the Drive. 8)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 6:21 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Roadrunner,

Thanks for the info. When you state "if there are no cracks in the spine" - what am I looking for (obviously cracks, but where?)

I do not see any cracks on the drive, but want to make sure I'm not missing something.

So, I will track down a new shaft (one with splines) and replace. THANKS AGAIN.

I've read several posts and see that you are clearly an expert on the Hobie yaks, so . . . would you look at my other post regarding the upgrade to the twist and stow rudder. In short, I'm looking for the how-to instructions that stringy had posted a few years back. Or, if you are aware of any other info. to upgrade the old rudder to the T&S, I would be much obliged.

Thanks again.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 9:44 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

Try the shaft first and see how it goes. That should solve the problem. If you continue to have slippage though, then replace the spine.

Stringy is the only member who has made the Twist N Stow conversion that I know of. He's a genius with metal and has some other great projects as well. IMO, the Classic runs well on its original rudder. Even though it's a minor annoyance to have the rudder sticking out when loading, it's probably not worth the time or expense to upgrade unless you just want a challenging project.

If the rudder is causing difficulties loading, you can 1) put the stern on a crate to keep the rudder off the ground or 2) load the boat backwards, or rudder first.

For maximum rudder control, make sure your rudder deflects equally in both directions and your turn lines have no slack in them when the rudder is centered. If you want to enlarge the rudder, Kepnutz did an excellent post on that subject.

BTW, I had a Classic for years -- what a great boat! With Turbofins it was a regular hotrod!
8)