Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:26 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Bicycling Substitute
PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2005 6:48 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Road cyclists and mountain cyclists should note that pedaling on water means freedom from cars, exhaust, dogs, hills, potholes, rocks, glass, curbs, 18 wheelers, angry motorists, headwinds, narrow roads or paths, roots, stumps, mud, sand, broken spokes, flying beer cans aimed at you from motorists, tire eating grates, red lights, blaring horns, road rash, flat tires, and on and on. Frustrated bicyclists can’t relax or close their eyes for a second, because, their life depends on split second decisions. Mirage cycling offers freedom from all the above hassles (in most cases).

I once set my watch timer and cycled for 5 minutes with my eyes shut, on the open waters, and was very relaxed. Didn't hit a thing nor did I run off the water and into a mud bank or sandy beach. Not a boat in sight. Wonder how long it will be before the waterways are filled with drafting pedyakers (pedal kayakers), and when the first Hobie Mirage Races will be held. If you like relaxation and aerobics, I encourage any cyclist to try a mirage today. See ya out on the water! Rob

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 7:57 am 
Authorized Hobie Dealer

Location: 315 N. Hwy 79 Panama City Beach, FL 32413 850-235-2281
If you are a true biker then change out the mirage pedals with a pair of bike pedals and you can use your shoes that clip right in!

Thanks,
Brad Stephens
www.sunjammers.com
Hobie Division 15 Chairman
Authorized Hobie/Vanguard/Hunter Dealer
[email protected]
850-235-2281
Panama City Beach, FL

Post subject: Pedal Clips
PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2005 7:04 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

sunjammers wrote:
If you are a true biker then change out the mirage pedals with a pair of bike pedals and you can use your shoes that clip right in!

I have given that some thought but decided against it. The mere idea of a tumble into the water while the feet are clipped into the pedals is bothersome. It could likely result in something twisted or broken if the foot got hung up on the other one.

Another issue would be whether the Mirage drive train could handle the extra stress. You exert more power on the drive train when both pulling up on one pedal and pushing down on the other at the same time. From past experience, when I stressed out the drive unit (sprint from a stop to catch a wave), I've skipped a chain link a few times. That threw off the balance of the flippers and required some tedius adjusting to get it fixed. With two feet powering the unit, the chance of that happening again would increase, even when the chains are tight.

Last edited by Rnykster on Fri Apr 22, 2005 8:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 7:34 am 
Authorized Hobie Dealer

Location: 315 N. Hwy 79 Panama City Beach, FL 32413 850-235-2281
We have had several customers change there pedals out and I have heard nothing but positive comments back from them. They are not sprinters simply long distance bikers. They are just in it for the exercise and a break from the road! I thought it was silly to change out the pedals but they wanted to use them so there feet would feel like a bike, I'm not a Biker just passing along info.

Thanks,
Brad Stephens
www.sunjammers.com
Hobie Division 15 Chairman
Authorized Hobie/Vanguard/Hunter Dealer
[email protected]
850-235-2281
Panama City Beach, FL