Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:00 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Seeking Advice
PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2004 11:02 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Which kayak is best for a novice and for use in the Great South Bay off Long Island, NY ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2004 8:12 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

For just recreational purposes take a look at the Hobie Lanai or Maui.

http://www.hobiecat.com/kayaking/models_lanai.html
http://www.hobiecat.com/kayaking/models_maui.html

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2004 10:07 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

What type of kayaking are you doing?

I'm not familiar w/ your area. Are you going to be touring, bird watching, fishing?

Me, I'm a big advocate of Mirage Drive Kayaks. It frees your hands to fish, hold binoculars and more importantly, utilizes your big leg muscles to extend your kayaking day.

Take a look at the wide range of Mirage Drive Kayaks that Hobie has to offer and test drive one - you won't be sorry.

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 12:26 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I live in Orange County California and I am newly interested in Kayaking. Right now I am just trying to find the best kayak for me.

I would be touring around the Pacific ocean for exercise and exploration with the possibility of fishing one day. I am 6'2" tall and weight about 250. I really like what I see online regarding the mirage drive but I am worried about the leg room in the kayak, the Outback looks a little cramped.

any suggestions or recommendations?

Thanks,

Marty

Post subject: Try before you buy
PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 6:55 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Marty,

You could be dropping anywhere from $300 to $1600 for a kayak so the best advice is to find a dealer that will let you try a bunch of them.
Also, try different dealers as some have more incentive to push one yak over another.

Good Luck

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 8:01 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

marty491 wrote:
I am 6'2" tall and weight about 250. I really like what I see online regarding the mirage drive but I am worried about the leg room in the kayak, the Outback looks a little cramped.
Hi Marty! I'm 6'-0" with a 36" inseam (long legs) and have no leg room issues. Matter of fact, the only time I've felt cramped is in a sit-in kayak. For the best all-around multi-purpose kayak, I highly recommend the Outback. Sitting high in the water will keep you dry. Moving through the water by pedals allows your hands to be freed up to talk on the phone, cast a fishing pole, take photos, spread on suntan lotion, etc. You can pedal it, paddle it, or sail it. You can pedal leisurely all day or you can take it out for an hour and get a real good workout. The Outback will handle 400 pounds. Don't constrain yourself to just paddling...when for about the same price, you can get a sailboat, an recumbent bicycle built for water, and a sit-on-top fishing boat.