Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 11:30 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: HP Outback Hull Repair
PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 11:16 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I have a brand new but damaged HP Outback and need to know if the hull can be repaired. No I did not damage it it arrived thins way from the dealer that I purchased it from. The shipping company has denied any liability as well as the dealer. Please see Pix at the below link
http://photos.msn.com/viewing/Photos.as ... _NoLogin=1

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 11:41 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I have noted that Hobie sells a heat gun and plastic rods in several different colors. There have been implications on the web, from the dealer and in the catalog that the boats are easily repaired. The heat gun price point raises a question as well, at $130.00 it seems to be exorbitant compared to the models one could find elsewhere. A cheap knock - off could be had for less than $10 at Harbor Freight. There is nothing in the Hobie heat gun description that would give me a clue as to what wattage, temp setting or whatever features it offers to make it worthwhile. The best Craftsman sells for $100 and has digital temp control along with a reducer that limits heat to a mere 5/16 inch.

If I could get my hands on some scrap Hobie plastic, I would not hesitate to use a heat gun with temp settings to experiment.

I have yet to find any specific repair information or a how to plastic weld FAQ.

I would suggest that Hobie teach and equip their dealers. Equipment would include plastic rods and some sample plastic on which to practice. Dealers could then repair boats and/or pass along their skills and tips to their customers. This would both strengthen the dealer network as well as improve customer support and relations.

Post subject: HP Outback Hull Repair
PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 3:27 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I have also seen the heat gun and I am in possession of one that will is used to attach RC Plane covering. I have seen the "welding sticks" on the Hobie web site but there is no information that I can find as how to use, melting temp and how large of a repair can be made. I was hoping to get some of the information from this website.