Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:45 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: To buy or not to buy??
PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 3:41 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi been looking at buying an Adventure Island for some time now, but obviusly the price is an issue. I have seen an Hobie Adventure and conversion kit for sale for £2250, NEW. Its an 2007 model Adventure so its not the new one but looking into in on this site there isnt a huge difference between the 07 and 09/10 models, well no £750 worth. Has anyone converted an Adventure on here, is it easy or not?
http://www.cornwall-canoes.co.uk/special-offers.htm

Advise please.

Thank you

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 11:33 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

A couple of members here have done the conversion. Here's a comment by Aloha Dan when he did it a couple of years ago:

AlohaDan wrote:
Just got back.

The conversion isn't that hard. Just be careful and take your time.

Getting the mast hole correct is the main thing.

I used a Dremel.

Most important thing is getting the hole centered. I strongly recommend you use a compass of some sort (I used a rigid wood drawing tool with adjustable points).

Before removing the old 7/8" mast receiver and hole plug, plug in the plug. That makes it easier to center your compass, and draw your new hole..

Hobie did have some problems shipping the kits regarding some hull parts, like the ball braces.

I think Matt has solved these, but be sure and go through all the parts when you open your package. Use page 29 in the parts catalog to make sure you get everything.

When converted you have a true AI. In fact you will have the new mast step system, the new paddle holder, etc the original AI lacked.

I haven't done the conversion, but have the impression that if you're reasonably handy and patient it shouldn't be too difficult. I haven't heard of anyone failing to accomplish it so far.

The differences between the '07 and '08 Adventure are mostly minor. There was some improvement with the Drive but that probably won't be an issue for you. The rudder up/down system was improved for '08 and there is a conversion kit available for the '07; there was also a new version of the rudder that greatly improved the helm balance in the AI mode (should be in the kit). You would definitely want both of these and they should be available to you at little or no charge if not included. There were some significant improvements in the AI mast for '08 but Dan's post above indicates that the kits incorporated these changes. To check visually, examine the mast base. The '07 mast has a ss pin protruding whereas the '08 mast (and hopefully the kit) has a hole in the bottom.

To verify that the Adventure is indeed an '07 or newer (and therefore capable of accepting the upgrade), you will find 4 sets of two screws along the front and back of the cockpit rails where the crossbars will mount. The '06 Adventure does not have these and cannot be upgraded.

Here's more information on updates: viewtopic.php?f=68&t=5958 There is also a picture showing the '07 mast base here with earlier updates.

Sounds like a bargain to me! 8)