Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 11:49 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 6:48 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I read this forum for a week, and we test drove a few models. My wife and I came home with a blue Revo today, and I took it out for a spin later today. Wind was up, but protected waters, no issues.

I have other trad yaks, but wanted something to encourage my wife to get out more and join me. We're taking two boats out tomorrow for her first real paddle (er pedal..) in -her- boat.

I just finished watching the DVD that came with package, very nice. I look forward to fishing the Revo, and adding a sail kit later on. So far we I am very happy with this. Lots of opportunities now to invite other family and friends to get out and kayak with me without any real training, and be able to participate effectively and have fun.

So far I'm good with the stock fins, no need for Turbo's at this point.

Here's a few questions:

The seat drain plugs...do they seal well? We hate getting boat butt from a wet seat on calmwater paddles. One plug might have been loose, not sure, but I got a little wet.

Should I get some spare plugs? Do they ever fall out in transit?

Thx
Mark

One Ocean Storm cedar stripbuilt
2009 Native Ultimate 12

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 7:58 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Congratulations on the new Revolution!

I have a traditional kayak as well but we bought one for my wife and she loves it.... secretly, I love it too. The boat is super stable, even in rough seas, and you'll love the fact that it self bails if the waves get too high.

As far as the seat drain plugs, the ones on our boat seal very well. We sometimes have a wet rear end when we're done using it too, but this is usually due to us getting wet from high waves, or sometimes getting into or out of the boat, our wet feet drip on the seat. Another thing to watch out for is if you are using the paddle, the paddle drips can come down across the seat area. We've found that if we are careful with getting into and out of the boat, and be aware of the paddle drips, that the seat stays completely dry.

The design of the boat means that any water that falls over that portion of the boat will pool on the seat. The shape is great for comfort, but you have to be aware of the pooling if it bothers you. We've found that it really isn't a problem once you get used to the boat.

I hope that helps. Enjoy your new boat!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 10:49 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Mark,

May I ask if you considered the Outback before your purchase? Is so, why did you ultimately chose the Revolution?

I currently own a Kona, and I'm thinking about moving up to a Mirage drive boat. Stability is my main concern, and because I'm already familiar with the stable Kona hull, I'm leaning towards the Outback.

Cheers!
Steve

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 11:06 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Thx for the reply aug...

Steve;
Demo'd Revo, Outback, & ProAng, with and without Turbofins. It was a large pond, with winds kicking 20-30, and we lauched at the worst, heavy chop coming straight at us. It was good, because I really wanted to examine spray, etc with my wife's comfort in mind.
I immediately detected a bit more spray in the Outback, and less from the Reno, which kinda surprised me. Certtainly the Outback was more stable, but I didn't try to sway my wife by commenting too much, and she was fine in the Revo, cool beans.

I pretty much knew I wanted the Revo for my longer fishing trips, and was hoping it would work out that way. The 09 Revo demo had the seat that kept moving out of position, my wife was getting aggravated, she's not good with that stuff,and almost threw in the towel then, haha. The 2010 model I bought has a system to lock it down.

For my use, stock fins are fine for now, I was able to get 5.3mph on gps for a short sprint.

More tomorrow hopefully, I'll be in my Necky Zoar while she's in the Revo.

2009 Native Ultimate 12

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 1:35 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

To Steve,

We chose the Revolution because we're not fishers and didn't really need the extra stability, and were told the Revolution should be a little bit quicker. One thing that I've found is that the Revolution is extremely stable. My wife takes it out on Lake Ontario, and there have been times where the waves are over 5 feet high on some windy days. She thinks its "fun" to go out on days like that. She hits the waves dead on, from the sides, or the back, and has no stability issues whatsoever. I can't see any need for us to want a "more" stable boat, although maybe for fishing the wider boat could be useful. Other then the weight though, I'd be surprised to see true fishermen (or women) want the Outback over the Pro Angler. (Maybe there's a cost difference, I'm not in the market for one)

But I do think the Revolution gets a little less credit then it's due, it's a great boat that's extremely stable, plenty fast enough for most, and has lots of storage. One thing that I like about this boat also is that it is allowing my wife and I to kayak camp this summer. I'm in a traditional kayak, and my wife is in the Revo. With this set up, my wife can take a LOT of gear as the Mirage Drive is so efficient, and has so much torque, even though she's smaller then me, extra weight doesn't seem to slow her down in the Revolution as it would in a paddle kayak. A couple extra dry bags, and we're off!

Not sure if this post helps either of you two, but hopefully it will be useful to someone who reads these forums.

Happy pedalling!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:12 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Dang Aug...your wife is quite the sailor ! I sure couldn't or want to do 5ft waves in a SOT ! Maybe i just need to try :lol: From a learning perspective for me, what would she do if flipped in water like that?

Today's maiden voyage for my wife went well, she tagged behind me and daughter, who was in my cedar strip boat. At one point we passed some fishermen who asked "Hey nice boat!...How do you like it?" My daughter started to answer about the wood boat, "no..not that one...the blue Hobie..") First time that's happened ! :mrgreen: :shock: :lol: :lol:

We ended with a casualty tho...friends joined us at the lake later, and I offered them a ride, so they took out all 3 boats, all pretty much 1st timers. Upon return, I had my head turned for a minute loading gear in the truck, and they drug the boat ashore with the mirage still mounted. One slightly bent front fin shaft. I laughed it off, if thats all that happens with me trying to ride herd on three boats and gear for mostly ladies, thats fine. Everybody had a great time.

Will recon replacement soon, maybe go ahead with turbo fins that I would probably do later anyway.

2009 Native Ultimate 12

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 7:05 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I'll admit, my wife is pretty special! :)

Maybe I should clarify. We've only been out in those conditions a couple of times, and we don't go looking for them. However each time that we've returned from them, my wife has a HUGE grin on her face because she had so much fun. The boat is tremendously stable through 2 and 3 foot waves, and don't underestimate the safety value of a sit on top boat that self bails.

We always know that the boat has enough buoyancy to stay afloat, and if the waves come crashing over the front, or side of the boat, it drains almost instantly. The boat has always stayed upright for us in rougher seas. When the waves are 5 feet high, you've got to be VERY careful. We try to face the waves, it just seems to be best. You get wet, but you stay upright.

In 2 and 3 foot waves, if you were in a sit inside kayak, you're going to want some skill. That's the best thing about the Revolution. In waves up to that size, you really don't need all that much skill. The boat does the work, and if you get hit by a big wave, other then getting wet, you're usually completely safe. That's another benefit of the mirage drive, you're never off balance from swinging a paddle, you can't get the blades of the paddle caught in the water the wrong way, you just stay balanced in the middle of the boat at all times, with two hands holding on to the boat, and your feet propelling the craft to where you want to go. The mirage drive makes this boat even safer then it would be with just a paddle.

For our purposes, and given the experiences that we've had, I'd never trade the speed of the Revolution for more stability. I have no issues with people who choose a boat that makes them feel comfortable, but I wouldn't want people thinking that the Revolution is a "tippy" boat. It's rock solid on the water, and we've let everyone from a grandmother, to a mentally challenged man, take it out on smooth water. It's an extremely stable boat that will keep you dry in calm conditions, (no paddle to drip on you) and safe in 2 to 3 foot waves. If you hit 5 foot waves, you've got to have some nerve, but we've found it to be a safe boat for us, even in those conditions.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 9:16 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Hey gang, need some pointers for sun protection. Now that spring has sprung, I plan on coming to work often with the Revo loaded, then leaving for paddling & fishing at 4pm at nearby lake. What can I do to prevent too much sun exposure? I'll be carrying boat upside down on roof rack. I read something somewhere about 303 Protectant, like sunscreen for your boat? Supposedly West Marine has it. Any other ideas on spray/wipe on protection? Alternatives?

I'm somewhat tempted to make a cover out of a lightweight light colored porous car parachute cover thingy to be used while parked. Anybody find that to be help or hassle?

2009 Native Ultimate 12

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 11:32 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Skadar wrote:
Mark,

May I ask if you considered the Outback before your purchase? Is so, why did you ultimately chose the Revolution?

I currently own a Kona, and I'm thinking about moving up to a Mirage drive boat. Stability is my main concern, and because I'm already familiar with the stable Kona hull, I'm leaning towards the Outback.

Cheers!
Steve

The revolution for speed and the outback for stability. The outback will be harder to paddle becasue of the width, but you won't be paddling very much will you?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 7:39 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

:D You guys are making me feel really good! I'm new to kayaking and looked around for some time before buying a Revo. I had my eye on a very good deal on an '09 demo but while I was thinking about it, somebody bought it! There was also a discounted end-of-year '09 Revo avaiable, so I snapped it up. Only after reading these boards do I realize how smart I must have been! Everything I read makes me sure I got the best boat for fishing the marshes and flats. I've also picked up a lot of very good ideas and tips for rigging it out, which has made a LOT of difference. Thanks; this forum is a valuable source of info! :D :D :D