Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:10 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Mirage tandem question
PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2005 6:20 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Can someone tell me a little about the weight distribution of this boat. I'm not sure how to ask this question, but here it goes. I am going to try and use this boat both solo and tandem ( buying it for tandem and hoping it works for solo), so what I would like to know is was it designed to work best when the weight of the front rider is the same as the back rider or is it targeted for the back rider to be heavier? My reason for asking is to figure how I am going to ballast it when alone and with my wife who I out weigh by over 50 pounds.

I'd also like to know if the hulls can be purchased seperate from the mirages drives.

Thanks in advance. And I can't wait to have my kayak in two weeks for the fall run.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2005 7:19 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hey LeBron,
Good question. Although I have not used the Hobie tandems as yet, I have used SIK tandems. They seem to ride pretty well either way, although as expected, the bow will ride a bit higher solo if you are in the aft seat.

I guess you know that there are now two tandem Mirage drive models. The new Outfitter will not be available until some time in October. Since not a lot of dealers stock tandem models anyway, you may want to get your order in now for the older model if you have time constraints. Or you may want to try renting a tandem somewhere to see: (1) if you even like a tandem, and (2) how they perform with 1, 2, or the whole family in them. A good idea would be to find a place where they rent Mirage drive models to see how they perform. You may even get lucky and find a place that rents a Hobie Mirage tandem! My local Hobie dealership, Wilderness Way, also has an active rental service and rents the Hobie Mirage drive models, for example.

Also, to my knowledge, you can't get a tandem (or any other Hobie Mirage drive model) without the Mirage drive. One good reason for this is that Hobie makes similar size kayaks without Mirage drives anyway, so if you don't think you will need the Mirage drive, then why pay extra?

However, I can tell you from my experience, and that of many others, once you try pedaling with the Mirage drive, chances are you won't want to go back to strictly paddling. And don't forget that you can also sail some of the Mirage drive models, and sailing a Hobie kayak is one heck of a blast! Just my$.02.
Best,
Dick

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2005 8:12 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks for the reply.

As for a dealer that would let me paddle one, I have one. He's a very nice guy and said any time I want to, I can go down and check it out. I just have'nt gotten down there yet (getting married in two weeks and doing anything but planning is tough).

And my question about buying without the drive, is that if I want to buy a single or two next year, I would like to be able to put the drives I already have in it. No need to keep buying $500 drives for every boat if there is just the two of us.

Thanks again

Post subject: Hobie Mirage
PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 11:22 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

LeBron,

We just purchased the mirage. Used it here in the Caribbean on Saturday for the first time, for about 2 hours. I'm the "rear" and outweight the "Captain" by a good 60 pounds or so. It tracked and held steady in the water, with about a 1 foot chop. Doesn't seem to have any stability issues...front to rear (ok, so it is our first 'boat'...bow or stern!). We felt like, even with moderate effort, that we were creating a wake with this thing. Scientific answer, we agree this isn't. It sure was a lot of fun, and we look forward to wearing it out!

Good Luck

Keith