Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 10:36 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Different paddle design?
PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 10:32 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

I noticed the current Hobie paddle blades looks a little slimmer than my older ones. Is this my imagination? If not, why the change and how do they compare?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 9:45 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hey RR,
Could be, since Hobie is always upgrading and trying new things to improve their boats. But I have not noticed any differences myself between the paddles of my OB (early '04 purchase) and my Sport (July '05 purchase). Matt, however, would probably know if there had been a more recent change in paddle design. Hobie, however, has re-designed their Mirage drive fins or "sails", and an upgrade kit may be available in a few months for those who are so inclined.

Post subject: Paddles
PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 11:55 am 
Site Admin

We went to an nicer Bending Branches paddle a few years ago. The originals were from Cannon.

We will have our own designed paddle starting early next year. This will include a new blade shape and a molded connecting piece that should help with more consistent fit of the two halves.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 11:25 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

Mine must be by Cannon, then. I'm no expert, but I've been pretty happy with it. I recently ordered the new Adventure and guess it will probably come with the Bending Branches model. My only concern is that it might not take as large of "bite" during the stroke.

It's probably no big deal, since I prefer to pedal anyway. But I do get the paddle out for the exercise (usually on a downwind leg).

Apalach, I do plan to get those new fins when they become available; too bad they can't be specified on any of the new drive units (it's kind of wasteful to have to remove a brand new set of fins and re-purchase the larger ones)!! Maybe Hobie will reconsider offering a "megafin" option on the Mirage drive itself??

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2005 6:56 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Yep RR,
I'm leaning in that direction myself, depending on the price. I was trying to figure out a possible cost for the upgrade kit just yesterday myself, and came up with a possible price. But, I think I will keep it to myself for the time being to see what Hobie finally decides--don't want to give them any "bad" ideas. :mrgreen:

I may be wrong on this, but at one time I seem to recall that one of the motivating factors for the longer Mirage drive fins was to complement the new Adventure. Thus, the BigA would come with the new Mirage drive as standard. But it took longer than Hobie anticipated to find the correct material for the new longer fins, and they were not able to meet the deadline for the intro of the BigA. But, no matter, it should still be a trip and a half to plug the new Mirage drive into my Sport and watch that baby get up on a plane! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2005 12:08 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Uhhh, I thought it was your wife's Sport!!! llt

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2005 12:52 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Oops--mybad! I mean my wife's Sport that I rigged for fishing, and then I remembered that she doesn't fish :mrgreen: